CHAPTER 16: Time for the Fox and the Spy

Nagisa temporarily stopped his small personal training since their encounter with Takaoka. Also, he had to take care of Rio's inability to walk properly. So here he is now; feet under the sofa, arms were stretched at the back of his head on hands' support, and body's moving in sync with his breathing.

"74...s-seventy five." He's already close to his limit for about 80 seconds of sit-ups and everyday he's trying to add more counts, impressively. He really improved a lot including his body.

"Next is push up." He mumbled to himself, quite fazed up from his recent exercise.

Rio's finally awake, a couple of minutes earlier than the alarm clock.

Useless clock. Just as she thought, she plopped her head back to her pillow and eventually thanking that she had not turned the alarm off- ending her imminent and unwanted sluggishness.

"Rio... 37... you're starting to be listless... 39... in these past days.. 42... I'm a little worried." Nagisa sweat-dropped while commenting between his breaths.

"Because you're treating me like a zygote, Mom." Rio muttered, giving emphasis to the word 'mom' as she started to stretch.

...

***

Kaede's P.O.V

"Breakfast is served!" Aguri-nee called out from the dining room.

Shortly, I also heard Rio's cheer. She was the first to slide beside the table while I'm still changing to my school uniform that I packed in my bag last night.

I can still remember how nervous I was on my way here. I really felt something or rather, someone.

Sigh. But honestly, I was relieved that I got a good night's sleep... after a good long week of sleepless nights. And at best, I got to hear Aguri-nee's thoughts about my worries.

Still, I don't quite sure what to do but I'll try to not upset myself for my family, including granddad. Besides, that's what we have decided.

Everything will be fine.

I stared on my reflection at the body mirror... that leads to another spacing out.

"Akari!" My sister's call snapped me out of my unnecessary thoughts. And it's funny that her presence always reminds me of my clumsiness. Speaking... I think I forgot something.

I rummaged in my belongings, hoping that I might remember who-knows-what. I have this feeling like something's missing but I can't remember it exactly.

I stopped on moving for a moment to make way for reflective thinking; what did I do for the last minutes, where did I go, why, how... I tried to dig in my mind, leaning my chin on my fingers like a detective.

"Akari?" Aguri-nee knocked, making me startled and...

I remember now.

"I'm coming." I answered...

And I heard her walk away. "Yup. Take your time."

I started to search on my clothes again to make sure that my hunch is right. And it was.

I rushed to the bathroom to get my undergarment before someone else--

I jumped in shock when the door suddenly opened,

"Good morning." Nagisa just-- finished bathing?

Obviously. Water's still dripping from his hair while he gently dry it with an extra towel, creating more cute disheveled hairs.