CHAPTER 14: Detention Time

During lunch breaks, Nagisa and Karma would usually punch some strawberry milk and soda with Rio in a vending machine. Rio cannot bother the boys today because they are too busy with their own little discourse; Nagisa talks to Kaede about Aya (Aguri) and Karma keeps pestering Manami (who cannot even say that she’s irked when Karma keeps on asking) about their new ‘mixture’.

Rio sighed by the thought of her buddies dying in dehydration. It’s not because they did not notice her absence. No, but maybe a bit. And it’s ridiculous to think of it.

She sighed again. She understands why, besides, Rio Nakamura is irreplaceable… there’s nothing to worry about. But still, adolescence is weird-- you’re always afraid of ‘the thought’ of being fragile and vulnerable, or more likely, ‘the feeling’. Either way, Rio wouldn’t mind it until tomorrow; she’s trying to forget at least before the day ends. There’s no need to prove themselves to her.

Rio picked the drink and opened the can quickly like her life depends on it, guzzling the poor soda.

“Nakamura-san…” Someone called out, making Rio choke on the last rough drop because of the unexpected presence. She’s not like this every time. Rio usually keeps her composure, just happened that she’s lost in her thoughts.

And something’s different.

“I can’t believe you’re alone.” Yukiko doesn’t talk much but she’s really one of the most observant in the class.

“No, it’s not a big deal actually.” Rio smiled reassuringly, she’s not planning to deny or something, not a bit. Oh, she’s totally fine… she’s just… OVER THINKING.

Yukiko nodded with her usual soothing smile. Rio is a natural born genius but she’s not bragging about it. Instead, she plays the role of a sleazy and happy-go-lucky teenager who has the most mind-blowing pranks.

After Yukiko got a refreshment for herself, they started to walk towards their classroom but not peacefully. There’s always a high chance of running into a trouble, especially if someone sees you as a threat.

“Hey Bakamura. Still full of yourself?” Shinjiro with his accomplices approached the duo, “I remembered that you owe me something, eh?” he smirked which shortly turned into a laugh.

Rio was surprisingly quiet today, not with the usual taunting that she does to trigger her enemies to be more intimidated.

She just ignored them with Yukiko who followed her action.

“Hey, you’re really pissing me--” Shinjiro stopped Rio, placing a restraining hand on her shoulder… that he cannot even finish his words.

“I hate boring men.” That was the last words that Yukiko heard from Rio before she grabbed Shinjiro’s wrist and did a single arm shoulder throw (which Karasuma called ippon-seoi-nage).

She’s strong, that’s just the only thing that Yukiko thought of during the confrontation.

Rio’s opponents were wiped out instantly, crouching and groaning because of body pain. Other students began to pile up behind the scene which caught the teachers’ attention.

“Detention.” An unfamiliar voice whispered over Yukiko’s shoulder which made her shudder.

Rio turned to Yukiko with her adrenalin. The uncomfortable presence that she’s feeling the whole day was exposing itself, spilling a more disturbing ambience that fills the place. How can she be so insensitive to neglect the warning.

Her eyes widened in fear but also trying to control herself from showing too much reaction and familiarity. Surely, seeing his face is almost suffocating. She’s sure…