CHAPTER 4: Time for a Bitter Past

Present time

Nagisa's P.O.V

I can no longer hear Jiro. What happened to Koro-nii? What's happening? Someone, please help us.

"Kids. You can come down now."

The three of us were somehow mesmerized by his presence. But can we trust him? We looked at each other, and I know that Rio and Karma were thinking the same thing. We are too confused to trust anyone this time. Until another door that leads here in the attic opened. There was a beam of light coming out from the outside as the door slowly opens. Wait, there are two doors?

I understand now. The other is an emergency exit in case the other door was blocked. If I only knew, we might somehow pulled an attack earlier. But Koro did not told us about the other door because it's intended to keep us quiet at time like this.

We readied ourselves into a defensive stunt, preparing for combat. The person under revealed himself with his hands raised above his head. His hair is spiky. It's definitely Mr. Karasuma.

"Let's go." he simply said.

No. It's the time for explanations. I charged first but he easily deflected my overhead kick. Karma followed with a roundhouse kick and Rio with an armlock to choke Mr. Karasuma. But all our attacks failed.

His attacks are more powerful compared to Koro, while Koro's more calculated and unpredictable than him, made for surprise attacks. Mr. Karasuma's moves are more combative, more of a professional soldier's.

Before we can attack for another combination technique that Koro taught us, we found ourselves pinned on the floor, the three of us. He's a monster.

"I understand that you need explanations. But we can save that later. This place is not safe for that."

He let go of us as we dusted ourselves. All emotions are building up and I can see Karma's eyes locked into Mr. Karasuma as he exit the place. Rio on the other hand was clenching her own fists.

I see. Whether we like it or not, we must follow Mr. Karasuma. He's the only one we know who can explain this to us. And we can't possibly get out of him.

I can't be calmer than before and I still have this urge bottled up inside. But resisting will only lead to harm. Rio and Karma's with me, I need to be strong this time. I'm tired of being protected by these two. I'll protect them this time.

Memories flooded my mind; my parents' death, Koro and Rio adopting me, happy moments and unsettling ones, years of continuous bullying in school, and times that these two fight for me.

Not this time Nagisa.

I'm slowly learning to hide my emotions better.

I gulped some air along with my thoughts so I can concentrate. We proceeded to Mr. Karasuma's car and left some familiar faces inside the house.

"I'm glad you're alright, Nagisa-kun, Rio-chan, Karma-kun!" Mr. Taneda patted my head while his other hand is messing with Rio's hair.

How can they be this easy-going?

No. I can sense their animosity too. They are sympathizing. Besides, they are Koro's friend and they must be upset.

They are police who are probably in-charge of gathering the bugs and implanting new ones, cleaning the house and leaving it in its original order. The fact that we are close to these officers makes sense. Are they planning something?

I'll admit the house was a mess. But nothing's been taken, except for Jiro.

Jiro.

I frowned by the thought. I'll totally get him back. But more importantly, where's Koro? I'm getting a bad feeling about this.