fortyone.

Tommy and I headed into the shop to find a seat for the three of us, while Tubbo trailed behind us carrying the pot with the rose planted in the middle of it.

"They're so lucky that they're still in that stage," I said longingly as I looked at Tubbo in front of the counter smiling and talking to the girl.

"What do you mean?" Tommy asked.

"The pre relationship stage, where you get butterflies in your stomach whenever they even look at you," I replied.

I remembered the last time I felt like that. When Tommy used to glance at me from across the cafeteria and smile, it felt like being hit by a large ray of sunshine.

It was the type of thing that would make you smile, like a puppy being cute. Except with the added instinct of feeling the need to turn away when you smiled back. As if you had something to hide.

It was like when you wanted the other person to make the first move, so you always kept your feelings hidden. It was so exhilarating to keep up the facade, yet disappointing whenever he wouldn't make the move.

"Oh, what about you and that guy?" Tommy asked.

"It's not the same, I already missed my chance with him," I sighed.

"Why?" Tommy quizzed.

Just then, Tubbo came back without his pot but with three ice creams in his hands. Thank goodness he came, I didn't know how I would've been able to talk myself out of this one.

"So did you ask her out?" I asked while licking my ice cream.

"No, I want to but she's just so pretty. She'd probably reject me," Tubbo said in a dejected tone.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Tommy exclaimed. People in the shop stopped their conversations and looked at our table for a short moment before going back to their conversations.

"Why did you say that so loud big man," Tubbo whisper yelled.

"Look Tubbo, you both obviously like each other so why don't you just ask her out? You're behaving like a main character in a romance novel," Tommy whispered back to Tubbo.

"Yeah sure, I'm the one acting like a main character in a romance novel," Tubbo imitated Tommy and shook his head.

"What?" I said with a chuckle.

"Nothing," Tommy replied as if he was trying to cover up something.

"Is this about that girl you like?" I asked as I leaned closer to Tommy.

"What are you talking about? Isn't it y-," Tubbo said before his ice cream cone was shoved into his mouth.

"What was that for?" Tubbo asked defensively as he wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"It was starting to melt down to the cone already," Tommy placated.

I laughed and took out my phone to snap a photo of the funny moment. Tubbo attempted to push Tommy's ice cream into his mouth but kept failing as they were seated too far apart. His arm wasn't long enough for him to push the ice cream over.