nine.

I keyed in my password to unlock my phone to see the message. It was weird because Oliver rarely texted me.

"Hey"
"Can we talk alone tomorrow"

I looked up to see Tommy focused on his computer screen. He noticed and looked down to see my phone screen.

"What does he want?" He asked.

"I don't know," I said as I typed in a reply.

"what's up? u can just tell me here!"

"No I have to tell you in-person."

Tommy frowned at his reply but went back to he was doing on his computer. He wanted to say something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Next morning, Tommy woke up early and was waiting for me at the entrance of my house. It was quite odd because he usually took the later bus to school.

"Hey you, why are you awake right now?" I asked. I knew he streamed till very late at night because I could hear him.

"I don't know, but I feel very tired," he said while yawning. We got to school together and kept talking about what ever was on our mind.

As soon as we got to class, the other three were already in the class as I expected. Tommy didn't pay any attention and just walked to his seat. Soon after, he fell asleep at his desk.

"Hi do you want to go outside?" I asked Oliver. He stood up from his seat and we walked towards the school garden.

"So what's up? Why so serious?" I asked as I looked at the bright red roses. They reminded me of Tommy and his iconic red shirt.

"Y/N, I like you," he quickly said.

I slowly blinked still looking at the roses, why did I have to be in this situation right now. I was having a good day so far.

"Say Oliver, could you give me time to think about it?" I said slowly looking at him with a warm smile. He nodded and we walked back to class in silence.

"Where's Tommy?" I asked Izzy.

"Dunno, he left shortly after you and Oli went out," She replied. I didn't ask any further, he probably went to the toilet to wash his face.

When school ended, Tommy waited for me at my table. It seemed like he wanted to say something to me privately. So I picked up my pace and we left the class.

"So, are you going to accept him?" He asked not looking up to meet my eyes.

"Pardon?" I said.

"Oliver, are you going to accept him?" He repeated the question still unable to look me in the eyes. How did he know about it? Was he there?

"Why? Did he ask you to ask me for an answer?" I jokingly said. However I was met with no laughter from Tommy.

"No, just wondering. It's what everyone has been talking about today," he said raising his head to look ahead.

"Tommy, I've told you, I don't like Oliver," I said as I grabbed onto his arms forcing him to look at me.

"You guys seem like you're together already anyway. I just thought you said that for the sake of it. I don't know, just ignore whatever I said," He said still not looking at me.

"Tommy, I've said time and time again I really don't like him, what can I do to make you believe me?" I said with slight agitation in my tone.

"Then why did you tell him you'd think about it? Then why is he going around the school telling everyone you'll surely accept him?" He quizzed. Why was he so upset? It wasn't his confession to accept or reject. It wasn't going to affect him anyway.

"I was having a great day Tommy, I didn't want to have to deal with the rejection awkwardness today. But then again I may be lying to you about that too, right?" I said as I tried to stop myself from getting too angry.

"That's not what I meant and you know it Y/N," Tommy replied angrily.

"I don't get it Tommy, one moment you're being so nice to me and the next you get mad at me for something I didn't do?" I said trying my best not to shout at him. I forcefully let go of his arms and walked in another direction.

I walked, and kept walking. I didn't want to stop because I knew the moment I did, the tears would come running down. I was an emotional girl, I admit it. However, I really tried not to cry this time and yet the tears still forced themselves out of my eyes. 

I walked towards the park and sat on the swing set until it got dark. I hope I didn't ruin my friendship for real. He was really the last good thing I had. I was more scared of losing him forever than I was scared of my parents dying.

My phone was silent the entire time. Not because I put it on silent mode, but because no one realised that I was gone for so long. I started to make my way back home in darkness. I let myself go, no one could see me like this.

Suddenly, I was wrapped in a warm hug. I knew who it was even without looking at his face. I cried even harder in his embrace, all the pent up stress and anger just went away with my tears.

"I'm here, it's okay now," He said.

Just when I thought no one cared, the person I wanted the most came. He, was the one person who truly cared.

Under the dim streetlights on the pavement, I looked right at him in his black hoodie. It felt like time stopped for us to catch up, and everything seemed to suddenly click in my brain. That was when I realised.

I had trapped myself.

993 words

A/N: THANK YOU FOR 67 READS <3