26 | him

XXVI / twenty-six

✧𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀✧

I'm graduating today, baby!

Finally, this day has come. The day I'll put an end to high school and begin a new chapter of my life.

Kendra and I are already dressed in our gowns, on our way to the school. I have never been this excited about something in my life.

"What time is it? Summertime!" Kendra songs to the jamming music in her car. "It's our vacation!"

My dad and Johnny are on their way. They're coming in my dad's car.

As for Priscila, Nichole, and mom? I don't know and I couldn't care less if they decide to show up to the most memorable day of my life or not.

"What time is it? Party time!" I join and she stops the music.

"Not you singing with that horrible killing voice, Reb!" She laughs.

"Nothing you say is going to change how happy I am right now. In fact, nothing anyone says will change that."

And that attitude prevailed until the middle of the event.

I am crying tears of Jubilee. It's emotional seeing how much we've grown in only four years. Life sucks and we do, too, yet somehow we've made it this far.

When I notice that neither Nichole nor mom were among the excited parents and family watching us, those tears turned bitter.

But my heart throbbed in agony against my chest the moment I tried to spot Kade when his name was called but found no clue of him.

They moved on to the next student, still, I didn't. He isn't here. As my eyes begin to roam the place, Kendra lightly touches my thigh but I pay no mind.

My eyes find Indiana's that are filled with nervousness, though she rapidly draws away.

Then, my gaze finds Hunter that is looking at me with the same intense look he has been giving me. He doesn't speak to me, but it's as if he wants to say something to me.

Although his mouth doesn't open, I can hear the words of concern being screamed in my direction.

What would he take pity on me for? It's all I can read from his face.

After it's all said and done, I can finally get on the way to find out what happened. I said that I wouldn't be going there again, but I can't help myself. I worry.

"Are you coming?" Kendra asks me when everyone starts chanting and singing. She organized a party for the whole class so we can say our last goodbyes and close this chapter.

She said and I quote "if we graduate at least we gotta do it with a decent party going on".

"You go. You're the host. I have to go do something first-" my words are cut off by Hunter's raspy and masculine voice.

"You don't have a car. I can take you, " he offers as if he didn't just interrupt my conversation with Kendra.

"I can take you!" Kendra counters back. I smile.