20 | insecurities

XX / twenty

✧𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀✧

|Hunter
I'm not a party guy, I don't know if I wanna go.

That's the message Hunter sent me only seconds ago when I asked him about prom. It left me thinking that maybe I shouldn't go to prom either.

But that idea has to be discarded because I already have plans with Kendra to go dress hunting today.

I already know it's going to be a heck of a day. Shopping with Kendra is a whirl wind of yes' and no's.

To be honest, I have never been thrilled by the whole concept of prom and the preparation process just seems too fatiguing to bear with it.

At the moment, I'm getting ready for Kendra to come to pick me up so we can go to the mall to buy an expensive fancy dress that we'll only use for a night.

I hear my phone ring in a distance.

"Hello, friend!" Kendra says the moment I pick with an annoying voice. "Hurry up because when I get there and you're not ready, I promise to drag your ass out of your room if necessary, eh!" She warns.

"You can't make me go!" I pout, trampling the floor hard.

"Oh, I can!" she says convincingly. I can almost see the provocative smirk on her lips.

Some minutes later...

"I'm so proud of what I've accomplished!" she smiles at my reflection in the mirror, eyeing me with a proud glare as she stands behind me with her hands resting on my shoulders.

She has made me put on a long red silk dress that hugs my curves flawlessly.

I look at my reflection, troubled by it, I'm not meaning the dress is hideous, because as a matter of fact, it's the most beautiful thing I've seen all day, I say that given the fact that it's not for me; I can't seem to let myself feel comfortable inside this piece of cloth. The dress is of beautiful color and beautiful fabric and I think that anyone that gets the opportunity to put it on must feel very alluring, however, this is not me. 

This is a lot and to be honest with me, I feel insecure about it. I feel insecure because deep down I know there will be girls wearing similar dresses and they will rock them a thousand times better than me.

"Baby, don't look at yourself like that!" my best friend tells me when she notices the lonely tear that has escaped one of my eyes. "You look perfect!"

"No, I don't!" I negate with a wobbly tone, shaking my head.

Still looking at me through the large mirror of the store's changing room, she begins to move her delicate hands up and down my bare arms, "Rebecca Gray, you have the most beautiful body in all this fucking country, you understand me?!" She states and I purse my lips together so I don't flash a smile. "You are so pretty, baby, I envy you!"

"Oh please, Kenny!" I roll my eyes. "We all know that out us the two of us, you're the pretty one. " I state a fact yet, she shakes her head, lowering it a little. 

"That's where you go wrong, my love. You are the most tender and hot being that I know and it kills me that you do not realize how incredibly spectacular you are!" she exclaimed softening the look on her face and embracing me in a warm hug from behind.

"Oh, stop!" I softly cry out, while another lonely tear falls off my eyes.

She breathes in my ear and says: "Okay, let's go before I ruin my mascara!" She chuckles.