25 | melancholy

XXV / twenty-five

✧𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀✧

Three months have gone by since I last talked to Hunter. It's been fine. I think.

Here and there we lock our eyes, staring right into each other's souls in an attempt to discover what's been going on inside our heads. To figure out if the other is missing us.

That's exactly what's happening in this exact moment. Each one of us standing on opposite corners of the classroom, wondering inside each other's gaze. He has such an intense look imprinted on his face.

It's like he's communicating something to me that I can't interpret. I'm stuck in this position. His eyes full of sadness keep looking at me, and I wish I turned invisible so he could just quit it.

The teacher clears his throat behind me and I startle, diving out of my trance by the unexpected sound of her voice, "Mrs. Gray, take a seat so I can begin distributing the exams."

The finals officially start today. It's been hell to endure my motherless and sort of fatherless life and keep up my last days of high school. Though these last few months have been shit for me, it's teaching me so much more than I thought it would. I've matured on so many levels, I'm proud of myself.

I'm glad things occurred the way they did. Turmoil doesn't happen for no reason. It happens so that we can rise from it and become greater. Life is full of trouble and chaos, but we can always use it to our advantage.

I move my body over to my seat and wait for the teacher to settle his briefcase onto his desk so he can begin to deliver out our tests. 

Hunter's sad eyes only cease to focus on me when the teacher places the papers in front of him.

There is something different about the way he looks at me. Pity, that's exactly what I see in his eyes.

And it freaks me out.

Before he flips his paper, he glances over my head to look to the last row. I follow his gaze and spin my body to see that the thing, more like the person he is looking at is Kade.

What do those two have? A few months ago I saw them speaking a strange tone.

Kade notices my stare, but as soon as I react he draws back his head to his table.

I'm left with open lips that were ready to mouth the words 'are you okay?' because I don't think he is.

He has bags under his eyes that are bloodshot. His head used to be decorated with beautiful dark brown defined curls, but now it looks like he just comes as he wakes up.

Kade used to have that charm that made him very likable. He was the sociable and friendly one of the relationship although he often preferred to be in private with me, which was always suffocating.

He isn't like that anymore.

"All right, class. you have three hours!" Mr. Hamilton states in front of the whole class.

I didn't even notice he has already put the exam in front of me.

Rubbing my eyes and trying to recall everything I read and rehearsed last night, I say through a sigh: "Here we go."

Only a few minutes after I begin, I hear the sound of the steel material of a seat screeching. On the corner of my eye, I glance at Kade almost dragging his feet toward Mrs. Hamilton's desk with his exam in his hands.

I raise my eyebrows in confusion.

"What? Kade, it has been less than ten minutes. Are you sure you're done?" the teacher tells him, analyzing his answers.