09 | painkiller

IX / nine

✧𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑✧

••Some hours earlier••

I couldn't stop but notice that on our way to my house, she was putting so much effort into not crying. Consequently, she was hiccoughing and gulping like crazy.

"Why are you so keen on not crying?" I quiz, my eyes never leaving the road.

I feel her glancing at me seemingly confused.

"Wh-What do you mean?" Her eyes were on me, trying to figure out whether to say something else or leave it like that.

"Why are you holding back the tears?" I turn my head around when I finally park my car on my driveway, just to see her looking at me with puppy eyes.

Despite her dark conplexion I notice the red spots on her face. Those brown eyes look at me with sadness, tears came out of them thus wetting her eyelashes, but she was quick to wipe them off before it had a chance to fall rolling down her cheeks.

I wasn't in the cafeteria for quite enough time to really understand what had happened. Although I didn't fully understand the situation, I have one thing sure: that idiot is into her. The way he looked at me that first day of school when the teacher assigned us together and when I called her pretty. He was jealous.

But like... what the heck was he jealous of? I don't even know the girl.

"Because I can?" She says more as a statement than a question. "And what happened to your hand anyways?" She quizzes, snorting and pointing at both my hands on the wheel.

I see what she's doing... she's trying to make this about me, to bring all the attention to me.

"I had a little... "I tell, searching for the right words and she looks at me even more confused. "Accident" I lie.

My hands are bandaged, I took care of the damage made on my own and it still hurts a fucking lot. What happened last night has to stay hidden inside of me forever, I am never going to verbally tell anybody about my issues. That's too infuriating and shameful.

I am trying my best to be nice and friendly so that she calms down a little, but what I said seems to cause in her some type of doubt by the way she's eyeing me.

"Well, it looks terrible!" she states glancing over the windshield.

We hop out of the my car and walk through the front door. Her eyes start wandering around the house, observing what her eyes are seeing.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" I ask her jokingly, trying to make her feel free.

She giggles. Good.

I beckon her to follow me upstairs and she does exactly as I wanted.

This time we get inside my bedroom and her eyes start to wander again. My room is pretty basic, I have a wooden queen size bed with nightstands on the sides and my walls are dark grey with make the room look dark, which I personally love.

The punched wall is still there and I worry that she's going to notice and ask me about it.

Fuck, every time my gaze travels to that hole, an image of the person I'm trying not to be invades me and man I hate it.