14 | ineffable

XIV / fourteen

✧𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀✧

"Rebecca, hold on!" Someone with a raspy thick voice calls out from behind me.

I would recognize that voice from miles away. An involuntary cheeky grin forms on my face.

I take a step back to face the person who is talking to me.

"Hi... Hunter!" I greet him, cocking up my head.

He's on his black skateboard, and he couldn't look better! His wavy brown hair moving with the wind, and those clothes that he always rocks, look incredible under the light of the evening sun.

"Do you mind if I walk with you?" he asks, panting slightly as he gets off the skateboard and starts to walk alongside me to my house.

I feel chills down my spine, and my cheeks heating up. Why would he want that?

"Why don't you ask another girl?" I blur out without even thinking twice. Once the words slip out of my mouth, a wave of regret overflows me.

He lets out a peal of short laughter.

Rebecca, why can't you keep your mouth fucking sealed?

"Because you're cool!" He compliments, smiling and my heart is flattered.

"How so?" I ask curiously, looking at his amber eyes. I'm genuinely interested in knowing why he thinks I am cool because I'm nothing but an ordinary girl.

"I just like your unproblematic ways" he explains. "And I don't exactly want to be around trouble so..." trailing off he adds.

Oh, so he's using me. He is using me to accomplish whatever it may be that he wants to accomplish. Because I'm unproblematic?

"Oh," I sigh disappointedly. Well, that was a turn-off.

I truly need to lower my expectations. I had expected him to say something like: 'I hang out with you just because I want to, I like being around you'. I didn't expect him to say that he has to spend time with me or else he'll get into trouble.

I proceed to continue walking and make an effort to ignore his presence, however, that seems impossible when he's constantly trying to make conversation.

I can hear the low traffic activity, the people coming and going, crossing the streets and the sound of it only intensifies my stress ten thousand times more.

"Hunter, can you please just-" I cut off my own words. I turn to look back up at his expression and he seems troubled.

I sigh again, but this time I stop my paces to deeply breathe. His body stays behind, not moving a bit and I can't stop, but wonder why I have these emotions.

This feels wrong but right at the same time. It's wrong because I still have to figure out my feeling for Kade and right because I know I have something going on with him.

Regardless, him telling me he basically has to be around me to keep himself out of trouble hurts my heart. Though I know it should flatter me, I sense nothing but an ineffable pain in the soul.

"Did I say something wrong?" I hear his calming voice.

Of course, you didn't, it's just that my heart is playing with me!

"No, I was simply going to..." I say instead, but I have no excuse whatsoever.

"To what?" as I hear the words, I feel his touch on my shoulder, "I said something wrong, didn't I, Becca?"