32 | wounds

XXXII / thirty-two

✧𝐑𝐄𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐂𝐀✧

"Rebecca!" he warns, his voice dry and cold and his body farther from me as he tries to figure out what is it i'm trying to hide.

I can't speak so I just look at him, I watch as his eyebrows twitch and his lips shake. Just looking at his face I feel instant regret.

"Show me your arms, " He demands.

I didn't move. My arms are folded around my chest, not only to hide my arms but to cover my heart from his impactful expression. It's gnawing at me to hear his voice right now.

"Damn it, Rebecca! Outstretch your fucking arms!" his voice raises a bit more and I startle to its hurtful tone.

Becca. Where's Becca? I want him to call me Becca. I want to hear him speak soothingly and warmly and that's not what he is doing. His voice is gruff and serious.

In regards to that, I don't know why I'm panicking, it's no big deal, but it is his reaction that freezes me out. I think it's no big deal, I was vulnerable. I still am.

The one things about me that don't toughen up are my tears. One by one they are cautiously flowing down my face. Earlier I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but damn I take all that back. I can't control my pain nor what my body uses to deal with it.

I look down. Embarrassed that this is happening. I'm such an idiot.

"Shit! Open your arms!" he pleads once more. His fingers move to his hair and he pulls his wavy hair back in an angsty way.

I should've worn a long sleeve shirt. But I forgot. So I'm left with no options other than to do as he says. I outstretch both my arms, revealing one fresh slit in each one.

"Hunter, I swear it's nothing, " I whine.

He doesn't say anything. He just looks at it.

I cry even more. I don't know what I was thinking. The slits are not so big or gushing, they're barely there yet they are noticeable.

"I swear I was just trying to get ready in the morning and I accidentally cut myself with the blade I was using to shave my face," I say.

He keeps staring at it. He glances between my face and my cuts. His eyes are sad, the contentment I saw written on his face when I showed up at his front door has been replaced by utter hostility.

"I dropped it and it fell on my skin, " I admit. Though it's a half-truth, I'm confident he won't ask more.

"What about the other one? The same thing couldn't have possibly happened twice, " he says pointing out one of them with an unreadable expression. I right now can't tell what he is thinking. Maybe he is all over the place.

Thanks to the heavens, his door shrieks, and opens, and a high-pitched voice speaks, leaving no air left for me to answer his tormenting question.

As fast as I can, I embrace myself again, hiding what should have never been seen.

"What the hell is taking you so long?" Camilla says, looking at Hunter.

She has that huge smile on her face that contradicts what just happened between me and her brother.

I purse my lips and wipe the tears off my face before she notices me.

"Okay... So that's what you're serving today? Silence!" she teases, then as expected, she finds me on the other side of their porch.