30: One Lucky Lady

I could hear the beating of my heart in my eardrums as they pounded against my ribcage. I could feel butterflies dancing in the pit of my stomach and it seemed to have gotten hot in the room even though the cool breeze of the A/C was blowing down directly on me as I stayed pressed up against the wall. The controller in my right hand had began to slip as my palm became clammy and it was all because Derrek was standing so close to me.

He had trapped me to the wall by placing one hand to the wall beside me while the other held up my hand which had the controller in it. It had been an innocent struggle for the controller which I had stolen from him in frustration after he had beat me countless times on the video games we had played but when he cornered me and trapped me between him and the wall in an attempt to get the controller, I knew it was all over for me.

Derrek's eyes found mine and I couldn't think to look away, the moment our eyes made contact. His eyes were so hypnotic and I just wanted to get lost in them. From the longing look in his eyes, I believed he had wanted the same thing that I had in that moment. He angled his head slightly to his left and leaned in slowly, causing my heart to beat even faster in anticipation. My eyes fluttered closed as I began to lean in myself and just as his nose brushed mine, a loud crash caused us to jump apart.

I cussed as I glanced down to see the controller that had slipped out of my hand and fallen down to the floor. It didn't look broken but after that fall, it had to have been damaged. Derrek was never going to forgive me now. Way to ruin the mood.

"I'm so sorry." I apologized as Derrek picked it up. He gave it a little shake before proceeding towards the TV. He pressed on some buttons and thankfully, the commands had been executed. It was a miracle.

"You're one lucky lady." Derrek said as he set the controller down on the coffee table before glancing back at me. I glanced back at him with my arms hugging my body tightly. "I would have had to kill you if you broke it."

"Sorry. It just slipped out of my hand."

"It's alright. You dodged a lot of gold plated bullets, mate." He smiled at me and took a seat on the couch. He grabbed the TV remote and began to surf the channels while I stood there, staring at him in disbelief. We had almost kissed just a moment ago and now, he was acting so casual like nothing had happened and calling me 'mate'. What did that even mean? I hadn't imagined the whole thing, had I?

I shamefully bowed my head, embarrassed that I had actually wanted Derrek to kiss me. I felt even worse that he pretended like nothing happened. I proceeded to the guest room and Derrek did nothing to stop me from leaving. He didn't come to find me for the next couple of hours. I had fallen asleep sometime after I got into the room and had only woken up when I heard a knock on the door, followed by Derrek's chirpy voice.

"Tiara! Breakfast's ready!" He called out in a singsong voice and I slowly opened my eyes, squinting at the streak of sunlight which shone right on my face, sipping in from an opening in the curtains.

I sat up and brushed my hands over my face as Derrek continued to knock. I felt like my head was going to explode from the sound of knocking. I hated the sound of anything when I just woke up. It irritated me.

I yawned as I got up to my feet and dragged myself to the door, then, I unlocked it and pulled it open to see Derrek standing before me with a huge grin on his face.

"Why are you so happy so early in the morning?"

"Is there a crime against morning happiness?" He chuckled as he turned around and proceeded towards the kitchen.

"There should be!" I called after him before shutting my door. I proceeded to the bathroom where I had set my toothbrush and towel. I washed my laundry, brushed my teeth and took a quick shower before reemerginging in the room. Just then I realized that I had no clothes to wear. My old ones were wet and I didn't think it was appropriate to show up for breakfast in a towel.