43: Once Bitten, Twice Shy

"For the twelve hundredth time, Ana—"

"I'm not going on a date with Timini Egbuson." Naborhi mimicked with a high pitched voice and rolled her eyes at me. "He's hot and famous, Tiara. Do you know how many girls would kill to be in your shoes?" She said as she put on red lipstick. She made a kissy face and winked at her reflection before turning back to me.

"I don't care, Ana. I'm not bringing a fake date to dinner." I said firmly, rolling over to my back and tilting my head backwards to glance at Naborhi who looked upside down from my point of view. I had made the mistake of getting myself a fake fiancé just to impress others once before. I wasn't going to make that mistake again.

"It's not a fake date. He thinks you're cute and wants to give the date a shot." She said, placing her hands in the pockets of her white robe and sitting on her dressing table.

"You already asked him?" I screamed, lifting myself into a sitting position and Naborhi grinned. "Anaborhi!" I turned around to face her and crossed my legs beneath me.

"Derrek has moved on with his fake fiancée and since you're clearly not going to fight for your man, you should move on!" She stated as she walked into her walk in closet. I followed behind her.

"She's not his fake fiancée." I corrected and she ignored me, pulling out a white free flowing, long sleeved dress. She placed it on her body and walked over to her floor-to-ceiling mirror at the other end of the room. She assessed the length, seeming satisfied that the dress fell right on her mid thigh.

"Derrek called off his engagement with Candice almost a year ago. The only reason she's here is because he lost a year worth of memories." She reminded and I gave a sigh. Alex told us that Candice and Derrek had broken up about ten months ago and they had been engaged for a few months before they had separated. However, I knew that they hadn't really broken up. The text I'd seen on Derrek's phone, his reaction when I'd brought it up and that reporter finding out that Derrek had been engaged to someone else. That someone else was Candice, so, technically they were still engaged but I couldn't tell Naborhi that. I couldn't tell anyone about it.

"I'll just have to tell Alex that I can't make it then." I sighed in defeat.

"You can't do that. It's Tosin's surprise party. She'll never forgive you if you miss it and neither will I." Naborhi shook her head in disagreement and I groaned, frustrated by the whole thing.

"I'll go without a date then. I'll be the single living-her-best-life friend."

"Or you could be the friend who shows up with a freaking nollywood celebrity who—if I didn't mention before—is hot and into you." She countered and I shook my head, defiantly. "Okay, fine. Do what you want!" She put her hands up, giving up on convincing me.

"I will." I said, glad we were dropping the topic.

"You know, I don't get you, Tiara." Naborhi said as we walked out of her closet and I groaned, realizing she wasn't done with me just yet. "Are you really going to let Candice steal your man?"

"Ana, please don't." I sighed, walking out of her room. I was suddenly feeling thirsty and needed a drink. Definitely not an alcoholic one. Alcohol had already ruined my life once. I wasn't going to take that gamble again.

"Derrek is your fiancé. You were going to spend the rest of your life with him and now, you're just going to walk away from him because he forgot who you are?" She said, following after me.

"I don't have a choice until Derrek gets better. The doctor said he might sustain further brain injuries if he tries too hard to remember his forgotten memories. He needs to heal first."