40: Hear Me Cry

It was about two in the afternoon when I got a call from Tosin, informing me that Derrek had gained consciousness. I had fallen asleep shortly after I got home, being mentally and physically exhausted. I wasn't at all surprised that I'd slept so long.

After I had freshened up and thrown on a casual outfit, I headed out of my room and bumped into Benjamin right outside my door.

"Hey, sis." He gave me a small smile. "I heard what happened to Derrek. Are you doing okay?" He asked with a concerned look on his face and I felt the urge to cry once again, recalling last night's incident.

"I was really scared, Ben. I was on the phone with him when it happened. I heard everything."

Without saying a word, Benjamin wrapped his arms around me and stroked my hair. I wrapped my arms around him as well, letting out a puff of air. I was glad he was here for me. I really needed my brother in that moment.

"Tosin called." I said, resting my head on Benjamin's shoulder. "She said Derrek's gained consciousness but I'm scared that something's wrong."

"Why?" He asked as he let me go and I shrugged, shaking my head lightly.

"I don't know. I just—She didn't exactly sound happy that he was awake. It may just be in my head though. I'm so tired that I might be hearing things."

"I'm sure it's nothing. Tosin's probably just tired as well. Derrek will be okay. Don't worry too much." Benjamin assured me and I nodded, knowing he was probably right. Derrek was awake now and that was enough reason to praise God.

"Can you drop me off, please? I left my car at the hospital." I beckoned and he agreed with a nod.

Tosin and Alex were waiting right outside the hospital when Benjamin dropped me off. They seemed to be having a heated conversation and Tosin looked angry as Alex spoke to her.

"Hey!" I called out to them and they turned to me, their angry expressions changing into worried ones.

"Tiara." Tosin wrapped her arms around me in comfort. "I'm so sorry." She apologized and I pulled away, wondering why she was apologizing. Derrek was conscious now. He was out of danger, wasn't he? Did something else happen to Derrek?

"Is Derrek okay?" I started to panic. My heart began to pound in my chest and I felt a sickly feeling in the pit of my stomach. Worst case scenarios began to flood my mind and I felt very scared.

"He's alive." She answered, realizing where my mind had drifted off to and I gave a sigh of relief. He was alive.

"What's going on then?" I asked and she turned to Alex who glanced everywhere but at his girlfriend. Tosin gave a frustrated sigh before placing her hand on my shoulder as if in comfort. I got the feeling that she was about to drop a huge bomb on me.

"Let's go in and take a seat first." She said and led me into the hospital. Alex stayed back much to Tosin's dismay. I didn't miss the glare she gave him as we walked away from him. We settled in the waiting room and she took a breath before speaking.

"Tosin, what's going on?" I repeated my earlier question. "Is Derrek okay? Why can't I see him now?" She had insisted that I heard what she had to say before proceeding to see Derrek and I wondered why.

"Tiara, um, when Derrek woke up, everything seemed fine but then—" Tosin paused to take in a deep breath and that didn't help to ease my mind. My heart was beating a million times a minute.

"Then, what? Tosin, you're scaring me."

"He called for his fiancée." She said and I arched an eyebrow, wondering what the problem was. It took me a moment to realize I wasn't his only fiancée. My eyes widened in horror.