4: I Can't Wait To Prove You Wrong

"I hate you for this, Merrick." I said through gritted teeth, my fake smile never leaving my face as the camera lights flashed on us.

"You're being overdramatic, Tiana." Derrek replied through his fake smile too, strapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to his side.

"Drama this." I wiggled my hand under his jacket and pinched his lower back through his shirt and he made a howling sound causing my eyes to widen as I glanced at him.

Derrek pulled me away from the photographers, leading me into the large hall were the movie was to be shown and then to our designated seats.

"Did you howl back there?" I asked as soon as we took our seats and Derrek swallowed hard, looking around nervously and adjusting the collar of his shirt, like it was choking him. "Why do you look nervous?"

"Nervous? I-I'm not nervous! What are you talking about! Nervous! That's highly bloody unlikely!" Derrek gave a nervous laugh, adjusting uncomfortably in his seat.

"Y-You're not a werewolf, right?" Derrek's head snapped towards me with his eyes wide open at my question. He looked like I'd uncovered his deepest, darkest secret.

I rolled my eyes at this. He couldn't have believed I would fall for that.

"Look, there's Adesua Etomi!" He pointed ahead of us. "Hi, Adesua!" He waved and I followed his eyes but there was no Adesua. He was obviously trying to change the subject to keep up with his pretence. I had to say, he was very convincing though.

"I know you're just messing with me. There's no such thing as werewolves." I told him and he nodded in agreement.

"That's what I was trying to tell you. I mean, anyone can howl like a wolf, right?" He said nonchalantly before turning away from me. I knew he was still playing mind games with me but I was too smart to fall for it.

"Nice try, Derrek but I'm not at all gullible." I reminded him and he chuckled, nodding.

He was about to say something when a voice echoed round the hall, telling people to silence their cellphones and keep quiet as the movie was about to begin.

"You are gullible and I'm going to prove it." Derek whispered after leaning closer to me until his lips were a few inches from my ear.

"I can't wait to prove you wrong." I whispered back and he smirked at me before turning back to the large screen ahead of us.

-----------

"For the umpteenth time, can we go now?" I asked in a whiney voice, looking up at Derrek who took a sip of the alcoholic liquid from the champagne fluke in hand. I was sick of the after party now.

"You really want to leave?" He asked, his eyes looking down at me and I nodded, giving him a pleading look with my eyes. His eyes softened for a moment and he sighed before answering. "In that case-" He paused for a moment then shook his head. "-we're definitely staying." He smirked, taking another sip of his drink as I frowned at him.

Annoyed, I flicked the glass while it was still between his lips and the liquid spilled out, overflowing in his mouth and pouring down his shirt and jacket. I smiled in satisfaction as he coughed violently, hitting his chest. The drink had probably gone down the wrong way.

We got a few stares but they didn't last as everyone was more interested in partying than paying attention to us.

"The hell is wrong with you?" Derrek glared at me, the moment he was able to get his coughing under control and I shrugged nonchalantly.