72: Understand

A/N:

Thank you for 19k reads and 4k votes!!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️

The moment I had dreaded was finally here and there was no where to run, although I had wanted to. I felt ashamed and embarrassed and I wanted to disappear but sadly, I couldn't. I couldn't escape it.

"It seems a lot has happened since we left." My dad began after several minutes of silence. I had felt my mom's gaze since she had walked into the living room but I had kept my eyes focused on the floor, unable to look at her or at my dad. I didn't want to see their looks of disappointment directed at me.

"A whole lot." Mom echoed and I gave a heavy sigh. It had begun. "Tiaraoluwa, raise your head when we are talking to you! Come on!"

Slowly, I lifted my head but kept my eyes off my parents faces.

"Would you like to explain your side of the story to avoid any misunderstandings?" Dad asked.

Before Ruby was exposed my parents would have always assumed I was guilty of a crime without hearing my side of the story. However, I couldn't bring myself to clear my name. It didn't matter whose fault it was anymore, Ruby was in a coma and even though I didn't like her very much, the empathetic side of me felt bad and just wanted her to wake up.

"Why are you quiet?" Mom yelled and I gave another sigh, slouching as I felt even worse. "If it wasn't for Tiwa, you would have been locked up for attempted murder and then what would we have done?"

I stayed silent as my mom yelled. I could tell she wasn't angry at me but worried about the state Ruby was in. I could hear the worry in her voice.

A few moments of silence passed afterwards and I felt the urge to look up at my parents to see why they were so quiet but before I could, I felt arms wrap around me.

"I always told myself that I had to be strict with you in order for you to become the best version of yourself but instead I managed to push you away so much that you couldn't talk to me about who or what bothered you. What use is a mother if she can't be there when her child needs her the most?"

"Mom—"

"You always acted like you were so strong." Mom smacked my arm as she pulled away from me and I was left confused. I couldn't understand what had just happened. That was very uncharacteristic of my mom. She wasn't an emotional touchy person. I couldn't even remember the last time she had hugged me, so, why was she doing it now and why did she sound like she was apologizing?

Mom walked away from the living room immediately and I watched her climb up the stairs until she was out of sight.

"Your mom was really worried about you. We both were." Dad said, drawing back my attention. "You were once a sweet and gentle child. I remember how you always cried when your mom spanked Benjamin for being naughty and then, you hugged him until he stopped crying. We couldn't understand why you changed all of a sudden."

A faint smile formed on my lips as I was reminded of who I used to be. I had almost forgotten all about that time. It had felt like I had been this stubborn, angry, crazy troublemaker my whole life.

"You started picking fights in school and cutting off people's hair. Your mom always worried that you were going to get yourself in big trouble one day if you didn't stop being so troublesome and when we heard about Ruby's accident, we couldn't help but think that it could have been you in her place. That thought scared us greatly. If anything had happened to you, we would not have been able to bear it at all." Even my dad had been acting weird.