9: It Was Love At First Sight

I had spent almost an hour in the shower, willing myself to tell my family about how Derrek and I had been deceiving everyone and how sorry I was to have lied to them.

By the time I had forced myself out of the bathroom, it was already past nine in the morning and I was sure my dad was getting ready to leave for the office. I had to get to him before he left or I would've had to wait until later at night when he returned and I just wanted to get this confession over with.

Dressing up in a plain black T-shirt and gray sweatpants, I made my way out of the room, taking in deep breaths on the way to the living room. I had to tell them the truth. I just had to.

I heard laughter as I approached the living room and I couldn't help but wonder what they had been laughing about.

"...and that is why my father travels with a face mask." Derrek said as I walked into the living room and my mom laughed out loud.

"What is going on here?" I asked, glancing from my mom to Derrek who was seated on my favorite couch in the house.

"Oh, Tiara. You're awake." Mom turned to me, a smile still on her face. "Your fiancé is hilarious. He's been cracking me up all morning."

"Derrek, what are you doing here?" I turned to Derrek whose smile dropped instantly.

"I was just explaining to your mom that I'd been stuck in traffic last night after a truck broke down on the highway." He said and I glared at him. He had lied to my mom.

"It was really bad. Cynthia told me about it this morning. She'd been stuck in it as well." Mom added and I held back a scoff. Of course, he told a very believable lie. No one could prove he wasn't in that hold up. No one but me.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't make it, Tiara. I know how important this was for you, so, I booked a table at Luigi's. We're all having dinner tonight." Derrek said as he got up to his feet. He walked up to me, his eyes pleading for me to play along. "You're not still upset with me, are you?" He took my hand in his and from the corner of my eye, I could see my mom paying close attention to us.

"Of course not. It wasn't your fault."

"Can you smile for me then?" He cupped my cheeks with his palms and it took a lot of self restraint to stop myself from pushing him away from me. I forced a smile. "That's better."

"Luigi's that new Italian restaurant that launched last month, right?" Mom asked, pulling our attention. She was obviously uncomfortable at how close we were to each other.

I happily stepped away from Derrek and took a seat beside my mom, eyeing him and twisting my lips in annoyance. I spotted his lips tug upwards in amusement and it made me even more pissed off. I rolled my eyes.

"It is." Derrek nodded, a smile still on his lips as he turned to my mom. I hated that pretty boy smile of his.

"Wow. I heard it's strictly by invitation until it's fully open to the public next month. How'd you manage to get one?"

"Luigi's an old friend of my dad's. My dad had actually helped him set up his first restaurant in London and is also a huge investor in the Lagos branch. I'm pretty much on the guest list for life." Derrek bragged and I rolled my eyes. My mom caught me this time and frowned. I really hated how observant she was sometimes.

"Tiara, kini?[what?]"

"Ma?" I arched my eyebrows at her as I feigned ignorance and mom shook her head at me before turning to Derrek.

"Your father must be a very influential man." She continued, her grin widening and I sighed.

*