39: Not Out Of The Woods Yet

I had heard the accident over the phone when Derrek called me earlier on. I had heard the voices of the people that had come to rescue him afterwards and I had heard very clearly when one of them had said he wasn't breathing. At that point, I had dumped my phone and pulled on the first clothes I had seen before rushing out with just my car keys. I had been so worried about Derrek and had cried the entire drive to the hospital closest to where he lived. It was the first place I had checked, recalling that he had said he was on his way to me when the accident occurred. There was only one hospital along that route.

I could barely form any sentences when I walked in, I wondered how the receptionist could understand a word I said. Soon, I was informed that Derrek had been badly injured and he was rushed straight into the OR where he was being operated on. I felt slightly relieved knowing he was alive but he wasn't out of the woods yet and no one gave me any more information on his condition. The nurse had assured me that I would have been updated after the surgery was over. Soon after I had signed several forms, I was left alone with my thoughts.

I contacted Tosin from the reception desk of the hospital to inform Alex of what had happened as I had no contact information of any of his friends or family. I had forgotten to bring my phone with me and hers was the only number I knew offhand besides my family. I didn't want to worry them until I had enough information on Derrek's condition.

I had thought about Luke several times but I had no way to contact him. Derrek's family deserved to know the state he was in but there was nothing I could do about that. Hopefully, Alex could contact them.

I had spent a long time praying to God to spare Derrek's life before Tosin, Alex and Luke arrived. The couple had only arrived back in Lagos earlier this evening and they looked so exhausted as they walked into the waiting room. Tosin had wrapped her arms around me in comfort as I broke into tears on seeing them.

"He's going to be fine. Don't worry." She said as she brushed her hand over my back.

"It's all my fault!" I cried. "If I hadn't gotten so mad at him, he wouldn't have come to see me and then he wouldn't have been in an accident! It's my fault!"

"That's not true! It was an accident, okay? An accident! There's no way you could have known that this would happen."

I pulled away from her and cleaned away my tears as I turned to Luke who had tears in his eyes. He looked like he was trying so hard to be strong and I felt even worse.

"Luke." I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him. "I'm so sorry." I sobbed and that seemed to break him because he began to sob as well. We stayed in each other's arms for a while comforting each other before pulling away.

"He's not going to die, is he?" He asked with a scared look on his face and I shook my head as I shrugged my shoulders.

"The nurse said he was really hurt. They're in surgery now." I sniffed, cleaning away my tears as Luke did the same. He informed me that he was going to call his mom to inform her of what had happened and left the room. He had been at a friend's party when Alex called him to tell him of the accident.

Tosin took a seat and gestured for me to sit beside her and we waited for news in silence. I hadn't even noticed Alex wasn't present in the room until I saw him walk in with a worried look on his face.

"Did you find out anything?" Tosin asked as he approached us and Alex gave a heavy sigh.

"They're not saying anything." He said and took a seat beside Tosin. "Oh God!" He sighed again and put his head in his hands. Seeing him caused fresh tears to well up in my eyes.

I just wanted Derrek to be okay. I didn't care if he was engaged to a million women, I just wanted him to survive. I wanted to see him smile again, I wanted to him to tease me again, I even wanted to hear him yell and tell me that his personal life was none of my business. I would have taken that over never seeing Derrek again.