19: Tell The Truth

A/N:

This is a double update. Be sure to check out the next chapter. ❤️

"Tiara?" Derrek called and I hesitantly turned my head towards him, arching an eyebrow in question. "Are you okay? You've been strangely quiet."

"Is it a crime to be quiet?"

"For you? Yes." He answered and I rolled my eyes, glancing out the window, concentrating on the buildings and trees blurring by. I was trying not to think about the text I had read on Derrek's phone. I shouldn't have been upset if Derrek had a girlfriend but for some reason I was. I wanted to question him so bad but it wasn't my place to pry. I wasn't his real fiancée after all. We weren't even friends.

The next few minutes were silent until Derrek spoke again.

"For real though, what's on your mind, Tiara?" He had sounded genuinely concerned, so, I glanced at him to see for myself. His eyes had been glancing from the road to my direction every few seconds.

"Candy." I sighed and his eyes widened for a split second before he caught himself. I would've missed it if I had blinked. I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned my head back on the head rest.

"Candy?" Was Derrek's reply and I glanced at him once again. He didn't seem like he was about to own up to anything but I was determined to make him. I wasn't going to come out and say I had read his message. He was clearly going to be upset and I didn't feel like dealing with an angry Derrek. I was still hungover and I could only handle one pain in the ass.

"Yeah. Candy. I'm craving some." I replied. My eyes never leaving him. "Do you like candy, Derrek?"

"I guess they're alright. I'm not so much of a fan though." He shrugged and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I don't know." I dragged. "You seem like the candy loving type." I made emphasis on the candy and he glanced at me for a brief moment before turning back to the road. He wasn't showing any more emotions. He was acting like we were really talking about actual candy and not his secret girlfriend.

"Do I?" He chuckled. "What makes you think so?"

"Lucky guess." I shrugged. "I'm right though, yeah? You love candy but you're a secret candy lover. Everyone else thinks you're this guy living this healthy lifestyle but when no one's looking you munch on candies and you think no one has an idea what you're doing but your darn wrong, Derrek Dune. I'm onto you." I blurted, wincing right after. I hadn't meant to say all that. Hopefully, he didn't read anything into it.

"You snooped through my phone, didn't you?" Derrek said a few seconds later and I winced once again. He had caught on. Darn it.

"I didn't snoop. The message popped up on the screen and I happened to catch a glance." I defended.

Derrek stayed silent after that. His eyes fixated on the road and his lips pulled into a frown. He had closed off like I had expected he would.

"So, who is she?" I pushed. "Is she your girlfriend?"

"It's none of your business what she is to me." Derrek snapped. "You need to stay out of my business, Tiara. Stop snooping, stop the questions. Just stop."

My nose flared in annoyance. I hated it when he acted like this.

"Why are you getting pissed off? It's a yes or no question. It's not as big a deal as you're making it seem." I scoffed, turning away from him. I really couldn't deal with him right now.

"I don't owe you an answer, Tiara. We are business partners. We are not in a relationship and most certainly are not friends."

Even though it was crystal clear that we weren't friends, hearing the words come out from his mouth hurt but I was never going to tell him that.