3: I'll Take That Bet

A/N;

Yo, yo, yo! Wassup earth homies? What's cracking all up in this joint?

Yeah, it's Krystall here again with the weird greeting slangs. (I honestly scare myself with these slangs sometimes. Help.)

QOTD; Who's your favorite Nigerian male artiste(s)?

Mine's Wizkid and Johnny Drille for now. My favourites change all the time.

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight then.

Lezz get into the story now.

CHAPTER THREE: I'LL TAKE THAT BET

"So, when are we meeting this Derrek?" Mom asked, taking a sip from her glass of water.

"Soon, I guess. He's really busy with work right now." I made up an excuse on the spot. Derrek knew nothing about me, there was no way I was letting him near my family until he knew every single detail about me.

Like on cue my phone buzzed on the table and I picked it up, seeing a text from Derrek.

Derrek: What's your favorite food?

Me: Jollof rice but I also love Rice and Stew. I can't seem to choose between them. Hby?

I quickly sent, placing my phone down to see my mom's curious eyes on me.

I sighed knowing this wasn't going to work. My mother was a very curious and suspicious person. If she suspected something wasn't right, she was going to investigate until she eventually found out the truth which was why I'd suggested Derrek and I texted each other every day, asking random or specific questions in an attempt to get to know each other better.

So far, I knew Derrek wasn't fully Nigerian as his mother was from London while his dad was from Rivers state in Nigeria. He'd spent most of his life in London and had only moved to Nigeria a few months ago to supervise the branch of his company that he had set up here in Lagos. He was the CEO of a technological Company called D-Tech which was passed down to him by his father. He was twenty-seven years old, born on April 10th. His favorite colour was blue and he was a major Wizkid fan.

My phone buzzed once again and I glanced at my mom who frowned, saying something about how disrespectful it was to bring a phone to the lunch table.

Derrek: Don't have a favorite food. I love em all.

I chuckled at this, ignoring the glare I'd gotten from my mom.

Me: Never pegged you as a foodie. Thought you were the picky kind.

I set my phone down once again and this time it was snatched away from me.

"Mommy!" I gasped as she kept the phone on the chair beside her and away from me.

"Finish your food before chatting. You're exhibiting bad manners." She scolded and I stared at her, shell shocked.

"But I'm an adult now. You can't seize my phone." I said in a whiney voice and she eyed me.

"In a mother's eyes, her child is still a small child to her, adult or not." She stated and my jaw dropped down further.

"B-But-"

"But nothing. Finish your food." She cut me off, pointing to the half eaten fried rice before me.

"Yes, mom." I sighed in defeat, taking a forkful of rice.