chapter thirty five.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 35: FAMILY LINE

❝ too many people are dead

❝ too many people are dead. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES WERE A LOT LIKE AIRPLANE LUGGAGE; no matter how far you were traveling or how long you needed them to last, you were only ever allowed two bags. And while those bags might hold a few hazy recollections—falling off of your bike, being pushed on a swing set, the way it felt to be picked up and spun around—it didn't seem enough to last a whole lifetime.

Enola couldn't remember a time when John was there. These childhood memories rotated around her head like the earth around the sun and he failed to appear in a single one of them. He thoroughly enjoyed using the father card even though he had never been much of a father. She couldn't even remember a time he had been a good uncle. So when he suddenly shows up out of the blue with promises of protection, she couldn't help but find the idea utterly laughable. She had been protecting herself long before he came around. She had even been protecting her siblings in a way he never could.

"Good morning,"

Enola immediately scowled at the sight of John standing in the kitchen with a cup of coffee. And there was no one to blame but Stefan Salvatore. In his unwarranted search for Isobel, he stumbled upon the most unwanted person in Mystic Falls. He had apologized profusely to the twins for bringing him back, but he swore that John could help protect them when they had clearly stated time and time again that they don't want to be protected.

"What are you doing here?" Elena questioned.

"Coffee?" John hummed, holding out a fresh cup to whoever wanted it.

"We're not doing that. We did that last night and I despised every moment of it." Enola scoffed.

"No more avoiding," Elena agreed. "Why are you here?"

"I'm here to protect you," John answered simply. "That's all I can say for the moment."

"What do you mean that's all you can say?" Elena frowned.

"I'll tell you more when I'm convinced I can trust you guys," John shrugged.

"And we'll listen when we're sure we can trust you," Enola shot back.

"I am so late," Jenna groaned, rushing into the room.

"That's what you get for hitting the snooze three times," Alaric chuckled in amusement.

"What the hell?" Jenna blinked at the sight of John in the kitchen.

"Good morning to you, Jenna." John smiled sarcastically. "Alaric."