chapter sixty one.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 61: INVISIBLE STRING

❝ anger gets you killed. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"ALARIC SALTZMAN KILLED MY FATHER?"

Caroline made her way through the woods with Enola and Elena on either side. They had all received the same cryptic text asking them all to meet up. There is never really a good time to tell someone that their history teacher killed their father, so they decided now would be as good a time as any. She deserved to know the truth even if it was painful.

Enola remembered always thinking that life itself does not actually exist because if no one tells it as a story or turns it into a narrative, life is merely something that happens and nothing more. To understand life, you have to tell it. Even if only to yourself. This does not mean that a story can make life comprehensible because there are always gaps in any narrative, whatever sutures or remedies you might try to apply. This is why a narrative only restores life in fragmentary form. And their lives remained quite fragmented.

"We can't expect you to be okay with this, but at least these herbs that Bonnie is giving him—they're healing him and they're keeping the dark side buried." Elena explained.

"And that's supposed to make everything okay?" Caroline frowned.

"Of course not. It's horrible. And I feel horrible." Elena said earnestly. "But Ric is a victim. He didn't ask for this."

"None of us did," Enola agreed. "We have all had our fair share of trauma, but who would we be if we ever turned our back on each other?"

"No better than the monsters we have faced," Caroline muttered.

"Hey," Matt greeted, approaching them with a frown. "What is with the cryptic secret meeting text?"

"I don't know," Elena spoke honestly. "Stefan just said to meet here."

As if one cue, Stefan stepped out into the open with Damon following close behind. They carried a black duffle bag along with them as they made their way over. An air of mystery followed the brothers as they approached with matching smirks. They were definitely up to something.

"Where is Bonnie? I texted her too." Stefan said.

"Her mom bailed on her. Again." Caroline explained shortly. "So I think we should leave her out of this one."

"What are we doing here?" Matt pushed the conversation back on track.

"We found some more white oak," Damon chirped. "Long story. Wait for the movie."