chapter sixty four.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 64: BAD THINGS

❝ so did you guys, like, switch salvatore brothers or something? ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

HOWEVER BAD THINGS WERE YESTERDAY, THEY WERE BETTER THAN THINGS ARE TODAY. It was a saying that Enola couldn't help but agree with. The farther she went back in time, the more beautiful and desirable the world became. She dragged herself from sleep each morning to face something that is always worse than what she faced the day before, but by talking of the world that existed before she went to sleep, she can delude herself into thinking that the present day is simply an apparition, no more or less real than the memories of all the other days she carried around inside of herself.

Yesterday was horrible enough with the loss of a friend. But it was always the aftermath that took a toll on Enola. That was when all the turmoil from the day before finally hit. That is when all the bad things she kept locked away inside the inner workings of her heart began to grow restless. That is how she found herself tossing and turning at one in the morning until she finally couldn't take it anymore. It was now around eight in the morning and she found herself busy painting the walls of the guest room along with both her siblings. She had admittedly woke them up with all the noise. Not that it took much. They were having trouble with sleep too. How could they not? Everyone who had cared for them was now dead.

"Going darker, huh?" Enola, Elena, and Jeremy turned to find Stefan lingering in the doorway.

"It was the only color we had," Enola shrugged. "Didn't have time to stop by the store."

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead guardians room in the middle of the night," Elena chirped, giving her sister a look.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this so soon," Stefan wondered, stepping further in the room with a small frown.

"We have to keep moving," Enola sighed, moving around the room with ease. "Otherwise we'll start thinking and we don't want to think."

"Want a hand?" Stefan wondered.

"So did you guys, like, switch Salvatore brothers or something?" Jeremy blurted, looking between them with a deep frown.

"What?" Elena frowned.

"No," Enola scoffed.

"I—I was just checking up on you guys," Stefan reassured, sending Enola an awkward glance.

"We're fine. But if you're trying to be the good guy again, why don't you do the right thing and give us one day. Just one day without any vampires in it." Jeremy pleaded before dropping the paintbrush in the bucket and storming out of the room in annoyance.