chapter twenty.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 20: THE MONA LISA

❝ this was a real dead end

❝ this was a real dead end. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

COUNTLESS POETS HAVE WRITTEN ODES TO THE MONA LISA. Critics have fallen to their knees in front of her, all teary eyed and open mouthed. She is the most visited work of art in the entire world. And yet there will always be those who look at her and see nothing but paint. There will always be those who don't even double take, who walk the other way. That doesn't lessen her worth. Her value stays the same. She is still a masterpiece, with or without their approval.

There were a lot of people who thought Enola didn't deserve to win Miss Mystic Falls. But there were also a lot of them who were very much proud of her. She decided to focus on those people—the ones who actually mattered. Like the Mona Lisa, she was a masterpiece. And sometimes, masterpieces were far from perfect. That was what made them a masterpiece. Just like her flaws. But they weren't what helped her win Miss Mystic Falls. It was her ability to portray a certain amount of confidence that she didn't actually possess. You know what they say; fake until you make it.

"You ready to go?" Elena questioned.

The wonder twins were set to head over to the Salvatore Boarding House. After Enola left to celebrate her win as Miss Mystic with Caroline and Bonnie, Elena and Damon teamed up to jump Stefan. They had used vervain to neutralize him before locking him away in the cellar as if he was a criminal. Which he kind of was. Stealing blood bags from the hospital is deeply frowned upon by the council of vampire hunters.

"Yeah," Enola hummed. "Just give me a second."

Enola finished putting the final touches on her most recent masterpiece before making her way into the bathroom. It was a painting of her winning Miss Mystic Falls. Once she had cleaned herself up and pulled her hair loose from the messy bun she had it in, she retreated back into her bedroom where Elena waited patiently. She tugged her jean jacket over her shoulders, ready to go. However, before they could actually leave, they came face to face with their intrusive and annoying uncle.

"Uncle John," Elena breathed.

"Hi, John." Enola smiled sarcastically, moving towards the door. "Bye, John."

"I thought we could talk," John announced, quickly grabbing Enola by the arm in hopes of stopping her from leaving. "We haven't had a chance to catch up."

"We were just actually heading out," Elena cleared her throat, pulling her sister away from the man.

"It won't take long," John persisted, looking around the room in curiosity.