chapter twenty eight.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 28: CASCADES OF PAIN

❝ i don't want someone i care about to die so that i can live

❝ i don't want someone i care about to die so that i can live. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

EVERYONE WANTS A GOOD PERSON TO LOVE THEM. And everyone wants to be that good person for someone. But everyone is afraid of getting their hearts broken because the first time your heart breaks, it scars you forever. We are all still healing from our first shattering and we all want someone who understands that. But no one wants to talk about the shattering because we are all afraid that seeing the wounds will make people leave. So we all pretend wholeness instead, because how do you speak about that first spring of your youth when your heart was whole and you thought you were infinite until someone took that away from you? How do you explain the cascades of pain that changed you forever?

Enola still believed in fairytales back then. Not so much anymore. Not so much when her happily ever after was so far out of reach that it seemed impossible. It was impossible. She could not force the person she loved to love her back. Though that wouldn't stop her from waiting for a sign. A sign that they were meant to be. But if they were truly meant to be, they would be. But they weren't. If they were, she would be here with the person she loved instead of here. She supposed that was the whole point. The universe was trying to tell her that they weren't comparable. But she wouldn't believe it until the proof was impossible to deny. And it wasn't yet. Perhaps one day, in the near future, the person she loved would love her back. Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

"How is Caroline doing?" Enola inquired.

"She is struggling," Stefan confessed.

The duo currently stood outside of the Lockwood mansion. They volunteered to help set up for the masquerade ball that would take place in a few days. But with everything going on, it was hard for them to stay focused on their tasks at hand. Especially with Katherine in town. The doppelgänger was most likely plotting and scheming against them at this very moment. That thought alone was very unsettling.

"And her mom?" Enola continued. "How is she treating her?"

"Like she doesn't exist," Stefan sighed. "Won't even look at her."

"Poor Caroline," Enola frowned. "She probably feels so alone right now."

"No," Stefan shook his head, smiling softly. "She knows she has you in her corner."

It was then that Mason Lockwood exited the mansion. He held a crate tightly in his hands as he walked across the lawn to his pick up truck. He had to do a whole double take when he spotted them, probably expecting one of them to be dead and the other to be in mourning. That, however, was not the case. Instead, they spared him a faux smile in return.