chapter twelve.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 12: STRANGER DANGER

❝ plotting murder? i'm in. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA CAME HOME TO COMPLETE AND UTTER CHAOS. Elena had captured her in a bone crushing hug and genuinely apologized for having Jeremy compelled. Enola reminded her that Jeremy was the one who deserved the apology. She ultimately decided to forgive, but never forget. And with that in mind, the twins confronted their dear Aunt Jenna about the adoption. The woman was an apologetic mess who swore up and down that she had been sworn to secrecy. Enola was a lot more understanding than Elena. This was not Jenna's secret to tell, but with their parents gone, there was nothing holding her back. With that being said, tensions in the Gilbert home were high.

But not quite as high as the tension between Caroline and Enola. With the new vampire in town, Stefan had suggested giving the people closest to them things that could fight off mind compulsion. Like bracelets or necklaces that have been laced in vervain. Thankfully, Enola had retrieved her vervain necklace from Damon when they returned from their little trip. However, not everyone wore jewelry. Aunt Jenna was a clear example of that. So Enola began lacing the coffee pot with vervain to make sure everyone still had it in their system. However, that might not be enough if one of them stops drinking coffee. But that was a problem for another day. The problem today was making sure this mysterious new vampire would not harm any of them. Enola, however, found that extremely unlikely.

"It's so pretty. Thank you. God, it will go with, like, everything." Caroline beamed gratefully, looking down at the bracelet that now sat comfortably on her wrist before her eyebrows furrowed in confusion ever so slightly. "What's the occasion?"

"No occasion," Enola shook her head. "I just don't hate you as much as I hate most people."

"Lesbian friend bracelet 'cause we're freaky like that?" Caroline grinned, wiggling her eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

"You haven't seen my freaky yet, sweetheart." Enola flirted, missing the way Caroline blushed as she continued to speak. "On a more serious note, I just wanted to let you know that your friendship is important to me."

"Okay, this is starting to creep me out," Caroline announced. "Why are you acting so . . . mushy?"

"Because you've been avoiding me," Enola pointed out, making her friend freeze. "And I wanted to let you know that whatever is going on with you and Matt is okay."

"I was going to talk to you about that," Caroline cringed. "I was, but there's just not much to say."

"What do you mean?" Enola frowned, taking a bite of her sandwich.