chapter forty three.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 43: DEAD MAN WALKING

❝ if you die, i will never forgive you

❝ if you die, i will never forgive you. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA COULD NOT SLEEP. It has been one of the greatest and most difficult years of her life. She learned that everything is temporary. Moments. Feelings. People. Flowers. She learned love is about giving. Everything. And letting it hurt. She learned vulnerability is always the right choice because it is easy to be cold in a world that makes it so very difficult to remain soft. She learned all things come in twos. Life and death. Pain and joy. Salt and sugar. It is the balance of the universe. It has been the year of hurting so bad, but living so good. Making friends out of strangers. Making strangers out of friends. Leaning cookie dough ice cream will fix just about everything.

Enola could not sleep. So here she was, leaning against the doorway to the room Jenna and her parents once occupied, with a cartoon of cookie dough ice cream in one hand and a spoon in the other. She had spent the past three hours violently sobbing into her pillow, hoping that this was all just one big nightmare. But when she couldn't hear the soft hum of the white noise machine Jenna used to help her fall asleep, she knew this was reality. And reality sucked.

"It gets easier,"

Enola gasped in surprise. She had nearly dropped the cartoon of ice cream on the ground as she whirled around to face the familiar voice. The pounding of her heart only increased at the sight of Damon Salvatore. His skin was a sickly pale and his eyes were unfocused as he struggled to stay steady. He clearly wasn't okay. But she did not care. At least that is what she wanted him to believe.

"What do you want?" Enola sighed in exhaustion.

"I want to apologize," Damon spoke sincerely. "For forcing myself on you. For killing Jeremy when you rejected me. For trying to control you. For feeding you my blood. For getting Jenna killed."

"A real apology is remorse followed by silence, space, and changed behavior. A real apology is less speaking and more personal work on yourself." Enola expressed. "A real apology is looking within and addressing what caused you to hurt someone you claim to love."

"I understand," Damon nodded. "And I know I don't deserve forgiveness, but I need it."

"And I need time and space," Enola said. "Can you give me that?"

"Of course," Damon smiled, though it was the type of smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Take all of the time you need."

Before Enola could get a word out Damon was already gone in a flash. She frowned, heading towards her sisters room. She pushed the door open with her elbow, entering the room before kicking it shut with her heels. One the bed, Elena and Jeremy could be found in an intense game of uno that she joined them in for the remainder of the night.