chapter sixty eight.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 68: THE HUNTERS MARK

❝ it's a kitten. it's an adorable exploding kitten. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA DOES NOT TRUST EASILY. You can see it in the distance she creates between herself and everyone around her. But she had so much love to offer and you can see kindness in the smiles she gives out to everyone else. She has millions of chaotic galaxies of thoughts, thousands of tangled up worlds of words in her mind, and you can see it in the way her eyes almost always seem lost like she is somewhere else.

She wants to be somewhere else. It shows in the way she is always rushing or moving. It shows in the way she is always so restless. Life never went easy on her and she didn't go easy on herself either. She is strong and you can see it in her eyes, you can sense it in her voice. She believes that her body can physically rebuild and heal itself. She believes that mainly because she knew how to recover by herself after life had broken her. She has been through so much and she still finds it in herself to attend school. If anything, she was surprised to find Elena already in the classroom with Stefan. They weren't exactly scholarly these days.

"First time you two have been back here since . . . " Enola trailed off at the mention of Alaric's death.

"First period and I am ready to ball my eyes out," Elena confessed, eyes glossing over slightly.

"If you want to go home, I won't stop you." Stefan promised.

"I need to be here," Elena decided.

"Yeah," Enola scoffed. "You have missed enough school as it is."

"Good morning, everyone!" Rebekah grinned, strutting it to the classroom.

"And just like that, I'm no longer feeling sentimental." Elena muttered in distaste.

"Morning, Bex." Enola greeted.

Rebekah was the only person Enola spoke to these days. It made sense seeing as none of her friends had bothered showing up to school. It started with small greetings in the hallway and morphed into partnering up for group projects and eating lunch together. She hadn't told her sister about it knowing a fight would ensue, but she wasn't exactly hiding it either. She genuinely liked Rebekah.

"Enola!" Rebekah smiled excitedly, handing Enola a flier of sorts. "So I'm throwing a little anti curfew party at my new house—starts in the fifth period, goes to whenever. Spread the word." Her eyes flickered to Elena and back to Enola. She didn't like Elena but wanted to make an effort seeing as Enola was her friend. "You're welcome to join us, Elena, if you'd like to bury the hatchet."