chapter twenty four.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 24: SELFISH PEOPLE

❝ i hate damon salvatore. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT SELFISH PEOPLE. Even when they know they will hurt you, they will walk into your life just to get a taste of you because you are the type of being they do not want to miss out on. You have too much of a shine to not be felt. Too much of a glow. So when they have gotten a good look at everything you have to offer—when they have taken your body and your love and your secrets with them and when they realize how real this is and how much of a hurricane you are—it finally hits them. That is when you learn the truth. That is when the person you thought they were is replaced by the sad reality of what they are.

You will stand there naked with half of them still hidden somewhere inside you and sob. Asking them why they did it and they will say something along the lines of I just had to have a taste or I just needed to have you. But that isn't romantic. It isn't sweet. It isn't beautiful. The idea that they were so engulfed by your existence they had to risk breaking it for the sake of knowing they weren't the one missing out. Your existence meant that little to their curiosity of you.

That is the thing about selfish people. They gamble entire beings—entire souls—to please their own. One second they are holding you like the world is in their arms and the next they are treating you like you are a burden. A moment. Something of the past. One second. They swallow you up and whisper they want to spend the rest of their life with you. But the moment they get a taste of you, they get bored of you. They are already halfway out the door. Without having the nerve to let you go with grace. As if the human heart means that little to them. And after all this. After all the taking. The nerve. Isn't it sad and funny how people have more guts these days to undress you with their fingers than they do to pick up the phone and call. Apologize. For the loss. For the taking. For the hurt.

"Katherine looked just like you guys," Bonnie said as she recalled the events of the previous day. Katherine had made another appearance at the Mayor's wake. And Bonnie was forced to face the wench head on. "It was freakish."

"She is our ancestor," Elena shrugged

"I moved the student booth into the cafeteria," Enola informed as she kept her eyes glued to the clipboard in her arms. She volunteered to help set up for the carnival not only because Caroline asked, but because she thought it would distract her from everything that had been going wrong in life at the moment.

"Your vampire ancestor," Bonnie continued. "And she didn't just resemble you guys like a family member would. She's identical to the both of you."