chapter fifty six.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 56: BAD IDEAS AND MISCALCULATED RISKS

❝ don't tell me you're jealous. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE LIFE OF ENOLA GILBERT WAS FORMED FROM BAD IDEAS AND MISCALCULATED RISKS. But at least she went for something. There is nothing as cruel in life as coming to the realization you have lived so long without ever taking a chance. That is not living. That is just getting by. Her vocabulary remains intact with the words never give up.

Not everyone is built with enough fortitude for failure. Some crumbled underneath its name. She hasn't always been able to fly with her eyes towards the stars, but once you find what you fear, you let it drive you. And for her, the fear of not living up to her own expectations is enough for her to awake to the sound of her inner warrior screaming at her, waking up the bones from yesterday to grow stronger today. Why would she settle for just a few days of sun when she could be the sun? Why would she settle for a few nights wishing she could plant her dreams on the moon when she could be the moon? She is calling out to the wild inside of her to come alive. She knows it is time to let the fear create her fire and not destroy the beauty which is inside of her. And so she would create a few bad ideas and make some miscalculated risks along the way.

"So you're the prime suspect," Enola mused.

Enola and Damon had been halfway through their journey when Elena called. Apparently Sheriff Forbes showed up with news. It had been a stake from the Gilbert family collection that had killed the medical examiner. However, the only clean set of prints they could find belonged to Elena. Which meant that the killer was someone they know. Someone with access to their house and the lake house. And that was a horrifying thought all around.

"She doesn't think that I did it," Elena scoffed. "She is just trying to find out why someone used one of our family weapons to kill a council member."

"Well, why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons." Damon said teasingly.

"You're on speaker phone, dick." Alaric huffed.

"I'm just saying, the first suspect is usually the right one." Damon hummed.

"The least obvious one is usually the right one," Enola corrected.

"Still Meredith," Damon said. "Who would suspect a sexy doctor of murder."

"Apparently you," Enola rolled her eyes.

"Brian Walters was killed days ago. I didn't show Meredith this stuff until last night." Alaric defended.

"It wasn't Meredith," Elena said earnestly.