chapter six.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 06: SMOKE AND MIRRORS

❝ oh, tip for later—be careful who you invite in your house

❝ oh, tip for later—be careful who you invite in your house. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"STEFAN SALVATORE IS A VAMPIRE?"

Enola Gilbert could not seem to separate her fear from her excitement. So she decided upon just calling it morbid curiosity. Stefan Salvatore is a vampire? Of course she was curious. Nothing of that caliber has ever happened in Mystic Falls. Unless, of course, the town had been covering it up. She nearly gasped at the thought, paintbrush hovering just a few centimeters away from the canvas. Smoke and mirrors are real. And they seemed to cover Mystic Falls on all sides.

"This can't be happening. People are born, they grow old, and then they die. That is the world we live in." Elena ranted as she paced the lengths of her sister's room. She had just returned home the Boarding House, where she stupidly decided to confront Stefan all on her lonesome. After he told her the truth, she rushed straight home and confessed it all to her twin. Though Stefan had begged her not to tell anyone, she had made no promises. For she was too preoccupied trying to escape with her life.

"How can you deny what is right in front of you, Lena?" Enola questioned, setting her paintbrush down to address her sister. "Someone who never grows old, never gets hurt, someone who changes in ways that can't be explained, girls bitten, bodies drained of blood—"

"Okay, I get it! Stefan Salvatore is a vampire." Elena quickly interrupted. "And he wants to meet at the Grill tomorrow so we can talk."

"And?" Enola sat up in excitement.

"And I said that I'd think about it," Elena shrugged, throwing herself onto her sister's bed.

"You did say that you wanted answers," Enola reminded, laying down beside her twin.

"I know," Elena sighed. "But I wasn't expecting this."

"Then what were you expecting?" Enola inquired.

"I don't know—some deep rooted family trauma?" Elena shrugged.

"That still might be a possibility," Enola pointed out.

"What do I do, Nola?" Elena groaned, looking to her sisters for answers.

"I can't tell you." Enola shrugged. "That decision is entirely up to you."

"And if I said I never wanted to see him again?" Elena inquired.

"Then don't." Enola shrugged.

"And if I said that I wanted to hear him out?" Elena continued.