chapter seventy seven.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 77: FIRE STARTER

❝ i am so sorry. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THE CODEPENDENCY WE PLACE ON SOMEONE WHEN WE WAIT FOR THEM TO LOVE US. We have all loved someone who didn't love us back. We have all placed our hearts all in, giving the best intentions and ended up with different expectations. We have all believed the love we felt was honest so as to go to any lengths to keep fighting for a love that really was never for us.

We were made to believe that love conquered all. We were never aware that under certain circumstances and conditions it's different. We were never made aware that timing wasn't meant to be tampered with. We had no business trying to force something that wasn't in our path. We don't talk about how time is just that—time, except we saw it as a figment in our imagination and we could make someone love us in time. That maybe they will grow to love us or maybe when they decide they are ready we would be here waiting. We don't talk about sitting on the sidelines, watching the one we love, love someone else and continuing to believe that one day that could be us. We don't talk about why we sit and convince ourselves we deserve a love that doesn't deserve us. We don't talk about how unworthy we feel, so we try to fill the void with someone to love us and with any ounce of what feels like love. We wait because they could be the one. We don't talk about how many people we turn down because our heart belongs to someone else.

There is never anything good that comes from waiting. There is never anything good that comes from forcing or chasing. No one will ever take you seriously when you wait for them. It is like an open door to your heart. They can bruise you and you will still be there with all the love to give. You will only be treated how you let yourself be treated. Enola was still learning how not to be someones maybe. Enola was still learning how not to be someones one day. She deserved someone who won't ever make you wait, who never has to question if they love her, who will never make her question if they do. Perhaps she has already found that person. She just won't realize it until she sees the pain in their eyes. The pain that she caused.

"Where are you?"

The phone sat on the counter as Elena finished putting dishes in the sink while Enola sat comfortably at the kitchen island, watching Jeremy and Matt played on the Xbox in the next room when Bonnie suddenly called. Elena was all too eager to share the plan with Bonnie. Enola knew it was wrong. She knew Kol didn't deserve this. But she also knew that he would stop at nothing to kill her brother.

"I told Caroline I would take her place at decade dance prep, but none of the rest of you showed." Bonnie huffed in annoyance, the dull echo from the gymnasium capturing their attention.