chapter ten.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 10: YOUR FUTURE NEEDS YOU

❝ this has wasted enough of my time

❝ this has wasted enough of my time. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA FELT SICK TO HER STOMACH. Maybe it was because of the events that had transpired the previous night. Or maybe—just maybe—it was because Caroline and Matt were walking down the hall with their hands interlocked. They looked like one of those cliché couples you see in the movies. And though Enola wanted nothing more than to be a supportive friend, she couldn't help but feel sick.

Enola had promised Caroline that these feelings would not affect their relationship. No matter how bad her heart ached, she would not storm across this hallway and force them a part. It was a passing thing. These feelings would subside. She wasn't sure whether or not she was talking about her feelings or the feelings Caroline had for Matt. Either way, she hoped it all would end soon. She couldn't bear the thought of seeing them together.

"Did I miss something?" Elena frowned.

"They have been hanging out," Enola shrugged, trying her best to act unbothered.

"And you're okay with this?" Elena asked slowly.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Enola hummed, avoiding any and all eye contact that just might give her actual feelings away. "I just want her to be happy."

"Wow," Elena applauded. "That is really mature of you—"

"But this little thing won't last long," Enola declared, eyeing Caroline and Matt in distaste.

"Well, your maturity certainly didn't last long." Elena blinked.

"I said I wanted her to be happy," Enola scoffed. "Doesn't mean I can't be bitter about it."

"Caroline needs someone nice like Matt as opposed to a homicidal vampire like Damon." Bonnie spoke up, leaning against her locker. "He is like those villains you read about in books."

"I don't know about you guys, but I would choose a villain over a hero any day." Enola announced.

"Even if it is Damon," Bonnie quirked a brow.

"Damon is subjectively attractive," Enola shrugged. "And, being a vampire, he probably has a whole lot of experience."

"Ew," Elena cringed.

"What?" Enola scoffed. "I'm just being honest."

"Speaking of heroes and villains," Elena cleared her throat, turning to her best friend with a look of curiosity. "How are you doing with all of this?"