chapter forty eight.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 48: THE DEVIL WEARS HENLEY

❝ klaus! ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

HEALING WAS NOT ROSEMARY BATHS WITH CANDLES AND TEA; it was ugly crying in the shower and wrapping your arms around your knees before admitting defeat. Healing was no longer trying to hide that your eyes were swollen, it was ignoring the churning in your stomach and forcing yourself to eat. Healing was going through the everyday motions until the night felt shorter, it was crying and falling and rising and trying until the walls of an empty house no longer scared you.

"Oh, come on! Seriously?" Caroline groaned. "Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?"

But to Enola, healing was participating in senior prank night. She found herself in one of the many abandoned classrooms with her friends. Everything was going great until the mouse traps they had spent the past three hours setting up began to go off one by one. The lights flickered on to reveal a startled and confused Matt Donovan. He stood in the doorway like a deer caught in headlights, hair sticking to his sweat covered forehead and t-shirt clinging to his form like a lifeline as if he had just come from the weightroom.

"Forgot about senior prank night, huh?" Tyler teased.

"Clearly," Matt scoffed.

"How could you forget?" Caroline frowned. "We've only been waiting for this since, like, freshman year."

"Yeah, Matt," Elena nodded along. "If Enola is doing this, you are doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this," Matt confessed.

"Caroline's making us," Bonnie hummed.

"We're about to be seniors," Caroline reminded. "These are the memories that stay with us forever and if we don't—"

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?" Elena finished.

"Go ahead and make fun, I don't care." Caroline said, crossing her arms across her chest.

"You're all lame and I've got ten more classrooms to prank," Tyler announced, heading for the door with Enola hot on his heels.

"And where do you think you are going?" Caroline narrowed her eyes.

"To superglue Alaric's desk shut," Enola hummed. "I'm making memories."

"I love you!" Caroline beamed.

"Wait for me!" Elena called out, following her sister into the hallway.

"Get the faculty toilet seats, and Dana needs bodies in the gym. Let's go." Tyler spoke in a hushed voice as he ushered a group of students down the hallway.