chapter eighteen.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 18: HALF TRUTHS AND GOLDEN LIES

❝ do you really think it was a drug overdose that killed vicki? ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THEY SAY THE THINGS THAT FINALLY BREAK YOU ARE THE WORDS CAUGHT IN THE BACK OF YOUR THROAT. And Enola had years of thoughts that went unspoken and unheard. They were crammed into the pocket of her coat. A whisperer amongst a world that had learnt only to speak where silence must be broken for the proof that it is weak. But wherein lies the weakness of keeping words held tightly in your hand? When others listened to reply, she listened just to understand. Surely it is strength when things unspoken fill the room up to the brim and she is only one among them who had taught herself how to swim.

Enola still had yet to learn how to not spin half truths into golden lies. She had every opportunity to come clean about what had actually happened to Vicki and how it had affected Jeremy. She had every opportunity but she never took it. Because if she did, everything would inevitably change. And not for the better. She saw what death did to people. She saw what it was doing to her brother. She saw how happy he was once he had that memory erased from his mind. But then she remembered that it wasn't real. And that he wasn't actually happy. It was all an illusion thanks to the mind compulsion. But she knew if the chance ever presented itself, she would come clean immediately. He deserved that much.

"Come on, Jeremy. Going to school. Walking out the door now." Enola called up the stairs.

"Hold on!" Jeremy hollered back in annoyance as he stumbled around in his room.

"You forgot this," Jenna hummed, holding a math textbook in one hand and a coffee in the other.

"Thank you," Elena smiled gratefully, slipping the text book into her still open backpack.

Enola walked over to the front door and swung it open. She jumped in surprise when she came face to face with John Gilbert. Mystic Falls Most Hated. Literally. No one liked him. Not even his own family. Especially not his own family. Because they knew him. And he was not the kind of person they enjoyed being around.

"Enola," John grinned.

"Uncle John. Hi." Elena quickly intervened before her sister could say a single word.

"Hi, Elena." John smiled sweetly before turning to their aunt with hidden malice. "Jenna."

"John. You made it." Jenna spoke in disappointment.

"I said I'd be in by noon." John beamed, entering the home uninvited.

"It is currently seven in the morning." Enola deadpanned.