chapter seventy two.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 72: ONE DAY

❝ i'll see you tomorrow, little monster! ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

IT TOOK ENOLA YEARS TO UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE ARE MORE AFRAID OF HAPPINESS THAN MISERY. Because misery and martyrdom have an inherent safety about them—one is never particularly vulnerable, nor at risk for disappointment. Unhappiness becomes a security blanket, a way to armor ourselves against deep feelings.

On the other hand, happiness has an intrinsically risky quality. When we open our hearts to life, we are always vulnerable to loss, to shattering, to having it all fall away. But it can also expand and deepen, joyfully permeating every element of our lives. She can often sense when someone makes unhappiness their shield, their perpetual life stance. Locking ourselves into a negative way of being is a self fulfilling prophecy: misery begets misery.

Only through risking something can we arrive at a new perspective. And more significantly because the rhythms and tides of ones life can truly shift in the blink of an eye. All it takes is one good day and the whole damn thing can come back to light.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop! Those flowers go in the back as indicated by the floral chart that you guys had plenty of time to memorize." Enola snapped at a few volunteers, ushering them away before looking down at a clipboard for more things that needed to be done before Miss Mystic Falls began.

"How did I know I would find you at the helm of the ship," Klaus teased.

"Go away. I'm busy." Enola muttered, not bothering to look up from the clipboard.

"I was wondering what time I should pick you up tomorrow," Klaus continued.

"How about a quarter to never," Enola scoffed, scanning the to-do list.

"You promised me one day if I healed Elena," Klaus reminded. "One day."

"I was thinking of something more practical," Enola said, finally looking up to meet his piercing gaze. "Like the movies, where I can put at least three seats between us."

"But then how are we supposed to talk?" Klaus frowned.

"That's the point," Enola scoffed. "Besides, there wouldn't be much talking between us if you were to take me to Miss Mystic Falls either considering that I am hosting."

"Oh, surely the reigning Miss Mystic Falls won't be hosting the party alone." Klaus quirked a brow.

"Fine," Enola conceded. "If you insist on coming, meet me here at two, black tie optional." She turned to leave before whirling around as if remembering to add something. "And I already have a dress, so don't even think of getting me so much as a corsage. You understand?"