chapter fifteen.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 15: A MILLION PIECES

❝ did you guys know that i am one of mystic falls' most eligible bachelors? ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

SHEILA BENNETT WAS DEAD. It was the tomb spell that killed her. And while Enola felt bad, she knew there wasn't anything she could do to make this better. The woman knew her limits. She knew her limits and she ignored them. But that's just what you do when you love someone. You would break yourself into a million pieces just to make them happy.

"Your dad kept everything from his medical practice—records, logs, old appointment books." Jenna explained. "I found an entry from the night the both of you were born. Patient and a birthdate. Isobel Peterson."

Jenna would break herself into a million pieces just to make them happy. So when Elena expressed a certain curiosity about finding their biological mother, Jenna didn't hesitate to offer a helping hand. And while Enola was grateful, she didn't understand why. Their biological parents gave them up because they didn't want them. And that was completely okay. It was okay because Miranda and Grayson Gilbert did a wonderful job raising them.

"Do you think that's her real name?" Elena inquired, peering over her Aunts shoulder at the laptop that carried said records.

"Pregnant teenage runaway? Probably not. First name, maybe." Jenna shrugged. "But where'd she get Peterson? Classmate? Best Friend? So I binged it. I searched for all the Peterson's in this area, born the same year as Isobel, found three. Two men and a woman, Trudie, who lived in Grove Hill, Virginia."

"That's not far from here," Elena noted.

"And watch this," Jenna hummed, pulling up an old photo on her computer of Isobel and Trudie together.

"Isobel. She was a cheerleader," Elena smiled softly.

"Trudie still lives there," Jenna said, writing new information down on a sticky note. "This is her address."

"What about Isobel?" Elena questioned in confusion.

"I couldn't find anything about her." Jenna informed before nervously turned to the twins. "Listen, there is something else." She hesitated, looking between them slowly. "Mr. Saltzman—Ric—his wife was from around here and her name was also Isobel."

"Wait," Elena began slowly. "Was, as in—"

"She died."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄