chapter forty five.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 45: LOSSES AND LESSONS

❝ we have time. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE LOVE ENOLA DESERVES WAS A FICKLE THING. It was equal parts terrifying and lovely. Equal parts dangerous and soft. The love she deserves will choose her just as confidently as she chose it. The love she deserves will fight for what she has when difficulty hangs heavy in the air, it will insist that they are stronger together, that they are capable of beating the odds, that they are filled with the potential to turn losses into lessons—into seeds that will make it stronger. The love she deserves will be her voice of reason; it will calm the soft creature she is when doubt sinks into her fragile skin.

Enola knew that Caroline was no good. She knew that she deserved better than someone who was only half there. But she couldn't bring herself to care because she had been waiting for this moment for a decade. It was a sad reality but it was her reality nonetheless. What she deserved was irrelevant. What she wanted was someone to call her own. So she would warm the bed of the first person who made her feel special. At least then, she wouldn't be lonely anymore. Until that person suddenly stopped returning her calls.

"Hey, Care. I haven't heard from you all day." Enola noted through the phone. "You're not getting cold feet about us, are you?" Elena barged into the room. "Call me when you get the chance. I love you." Enola hung up the phone. "Elena, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I need you to tell me what you know about Stefan and Tennessee," Elena announced.

"Have you heard from Caroline?" Enola inquired, smoothly evading the question. "She hasn't been answering the phone all day."

"Come on, Nola." Elena groaned. "Whatever Damon knows, you know."

"Then ask Damon," Enola rolled her eyes.

"Damon is not exactly in the mood to help right now," Elena muttered.

"For good reason," Enola pointed out. "Stefan killed Andie. He is officially off the rails."

"But he is still holding on to his humanity, which means he can still be saved." Elena reasoned.

"And why do you have to be the one to save him?" Enola questioned rhetorically.

"Because I am not the kind of person who checks out of a situation just because I don't like it," Elena answered. "And because he would never give up on me." She looked at her sister, almost begging. "Tell me what you know. Please."

"You are the biggest pain in the ass, Elena Gilbert." Enola groaned, finally caving. "Stefan and Klaus have been tracking werewolves. All up the eastern seaboard."