chapter sixty three.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 63: A MESS OF CONFLICTING IMPULSES

❝ when you love someone, you don't have a choice

❝ when you love someone, you don't have a choice. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

ENOLA IS A MESS OF CONFLICTING EMOTIONS. She is independent and greedy and she also wants to belong and share and be a part of the whole. She doubted that she was the only one who felt that way. It is actually the core of monster making.

If you want to make a monster all that you have to do is take the parts of yourself that make you uncomfortable—your weaknesses, bad thoughts, vanities, and hunger—and pretend they are across the room. It is too ugly to be human. It is to ugly to be you. Children are afraid of the dark because they have nothing real to work with. Adults are afraid of themselves. Where does that leave Enola? Somewhere in between? Neither here nor there? Her conflicting emotions are why she found herself here. Setting up for yet another decades dance in the gym as if the last one didn't end in pure chaos. She was looking for a distraction. Something that didn't involve her conflicting emotions.

"Alaric is trying to pull himself together," Enola noted, glancing at Elena. "Why is that a bad thing?"

"I just wish there was something we could do," Elena sighed, holding the cheap chandelier up, looking to Caroline for answers. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?"

"You know what? If Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should have shown up to do it herself." Caroline scowled, immediately passing the cheap chandelier off to a passerby. Her frantic gaze then settled on Matt and Jeremy in the distance. "What are you doing? You can't just hang them. They're supposed to trickle down." The two boys chuckle in amusement, whispering mocking words to one another. "Look at them being all bromancey."

"Yeah, I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust." Elena informed. "He got him his old job back at the Grill"

"That was nice of him," Caroline muttered, eyeing Elena and Matt with a frown.

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind," Elena informed. "The whole thing with Alaric had got him really stressed out."

"Are you sure it had nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline questioned.

"What?" Enola blinked. Elena grimaced.

"You know—when Elena and Damon were supposed to be getting Jeremy home safely?" Caroline reminded before noting the look of surprise Enola wore. "You didn't know?"

"No, I didn't know." Enola scowled, turning toward her sister for answers.

"I was going to tell you," Elena swore.