chapter forty one.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 41: SELF SABOTAGE

❝ go ahead, wish me an eternity of misery

❝ go ahead, wish me an eternity of misery. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

SOMETIMES WE SABOTAGE OUR RELATIONSHIPS BECAUSE WHAT WE REALLY WANT IS TO FIND OURSELVES. Though we are afraid to be alone when we finally do. Sometimes we sabotage our professional success because what we really want is to create art, even if it will make us seem less ambitious by society's measures. Sometimes we sabotage our healing journey by psychoanalyzing our feelings, because doing so ensures we avoid actually experiencing them. Sometimes we sabotage ourselves because if we believed in ourselves, we would feel free to get back out in the world and take risks that would make us more vulnerable.

In the end, self sabotage is very often just a maladaptive coping mechanism, a way we give ourselves what we need without having to actually address what that need is. But like any coping mechanism, it is just that—a way to cope. It is not an answer, it is not a solution, and it does not ever truly solve the problem. We are merely numbing our desires and giving ourselves a little taste of temporary relief. Enola knew that Damon would sabotage the plan. She knew he would inevitably sabotage her. He always did when something didn't go his way. Why would this be any different? It wouldn't, she realized.

"Tonight is the full moon," Elijah began. "We should assume that Klaus is preparing to break the curse."

"Elena and Enola said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?" Stefan wondered. "That it is actually just a curse placed on Klaus?"

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting." Elijah confirmed. "But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon questioned, entering the room with a deep scowl. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon," Stefan warned.

"Bonnie can't use that much power without dying," Elena reminded.

"I'll write her a great eulogy," Damon promised.

"Bonnie is not dying for us," Enola spoke firmly. "End of story."

"Alright," Stefan cleared his throat. "How do we break this curse?"

"The ritual itself is relatively straightforward," Elijah answered. "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know.

"The moonstone." Stefan nodded.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone," Elijah continued. "After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."