chapter seventy nine.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHAPTER 79: BECAUSE OF YOU

❝ don't flirt with me right now

❝ don't flirt with me right now. ❞

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

CHILDHOOD IS THIS; you suffer, you hate, you forget. You forget what it was but you never forget how it felt. You forget where you have been but you never forget what you have done. You still hate and you still hunger for revenge. You didn't think that you would feel this way.

Enola has changed, but not into something better. She is haunted by feelings of things she can't remember. But what would she be without her ghosts? The opposite of a haunting is something far more lonely. And she was so very tired of being lonely. She just wanted to forget all the suffering and all the hating. She thought that maybe once they found the cure to vampirism she finally could. But that was just a pipe dream. Because her childhood may be over, but it was always there. Watching. Lingering. Haunting.

"Tell me you are not serious," Caroline begged.

Enola stood in the kitchen with Caroline, the phone was on speaker in the middle of the kitchen island as Elena explained the predicament she found herself in with Stefan and Rebekah. None of them were exactly having the greatest time. And Klaus was enjoying it a little too much judging by the shit eating grin on his face as he lounged in the armchair, unable to do anything besides watch everything fall apart.

"I wish I weren't. When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were both gone too." Elena informed, voice full of irritation. "We need Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure and Shane managed to sneak them both out from under our noses."

"And where is Damon in all of this?" Caroline questioned.

"We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk." Elena sighed, obviously troubled. "But then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle."

"Meaning what?" Caroline frowned.

"Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him," Elena huffed.

"Do you think Shane took him?" Caroline stressed.

"No," Enola scoffed. "Shane doesn't need Damon to find the cure."

"In other words," Klaus spoke up, a bright smile adorning his features. "Damon is useless."

"Someone—or a few someones—must be helping him," Elena continued.

"I am so sorry," Caroline sighed. "I wish there was something we could do to help."

"Well, maybe there is something you guys can do from home?" Elena spoke hopefully.