The Note

I woke up in a cold sweat, panting heavily as if I'd run a marathon. My heart clenched painfully in my chest and my head ached with the remnants of a headache. 

"Ugh..." I groaned, looking at the time.

It hadn't been more than an hour since I had headed off to bed after wishing the family downstairs a good night's sleep. Yet, my mind seemed hell-bent on not letting me rest.

I can't even sleep peacefully. Oh, there's no point in life anymore.

Feeling incredibly out of sorts and nauseous, I shook my head to brush off the images in my head.

"What's up with these recurring nightmares?" I questioned myself with a sharp exhale.

It was the same kind of dreams I'd been having since two months now. The content was always, without fail, my mother.

I had no idea why my brain had suddenly decided on torturing me with her face even after it had been so many years, but I wanted it to stop. I was tired of waking up crying and screaming my throat raw. It didn't exactly leave a nice impression on the people in the house either.

Agonizingly slow, I pulled myself up to a sitting position, feet hitting the cool tiles and involuntarily, I shivered.

"Aylin?" Willow appeared a few feet away. "What happened? Are you not feeling okay?"

I was too shaky to reply, so I resorted to nodding mutely instead. 

Willow didn't say anything after that, and in a state of autopilot mode, I got ready for the day ahead of me.

When I trudged out of the bathroom, I spotted a note on my desk, that I had somehow missed before. Willow floated a few feet away.

"What's that?" I asked him, moving to pick it up.

"It's for you."

I rolled my eyes half-heartedly. "Thanks, I would've never known."

Bringing my gaze back to the piece of paper in my hand, I unfolded it, revealing an eerily familiar writing.
The same writing that had been on the unnamed letter in the tunnels of my previous workplace.

With a short exhale, I braced myself and began to read.

'Aylin,
The answers you seek are not what you might think it is. Though, the time hasn't arrived for you to know them.
Go back. The Spirits of Land await you with something of yours. You will need it for the rest of your journey.'

I blinked, once, twice, then with a huff, threw the note away, watching as it sailed through the air in slow motion before vanishing underneath my bed.

"Willow!" I yelled and he appeared infront of me.

"Why are you screaming? I was right beside you." He asked disdainfully.

I ignored the complain. "Do you know who put this here?"

"No." His answer left me frowning.

"This is the same type of letter I received before I absorbed the stone." I mused. "Are you sure it wasn't one of the Spirits?"

"I am certain."

"Then who could it be..." I muttered to myself before glancing up.

"JARVIS, did someone come in when I was sleeping?"

"No one, Miss. Salvatore." Came the frightening answer. "Is there a problem?"

So someone sneaked into my room, placed this note here, and left without alerting anyone.
Wow, that's not scary at all.