I'll Be There

I am in paradise.

That was the only thought I had when I laid eyes upon the bedroom named to be mine. Theme black and grey, with just the barest splashes of white decorated the room.
And it was just my type.

One wall was entirely glass, displaying the spectacular skyline of New York, and I knew right away that I'd be spending lots of time star-gazing through it. The bed was huge, looking comfy with fluffy pillows strewn over it and all I wanted was to jump in and sleep.

"This is literal heaven." I murmured, still drinking everything in.

Pretty sure you're destined for hell.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up."

"I didn't say anything."

For the second time in less than 30 minutes, I found myself squeaking in fright as I whipped around. Heart beating erratically, thoughts of intruders and burglars ran past my mind before my eyes focused on who it was.

"Please stop doing that." I told the auburn haired woman, shoving my own back from my face.

Natasha's lips quirked up in a barely there smirk, amusement glinting in her eyes as she looked me over.

"Your luggage is outside." Was all she said, before promptly turning back and walking away from sight.

I sighed. "Get a bloody grip, Aylin."

Recollecting myself, I shook my head.

You should unpack.

Deciding to do just that, I strolled out of the lovely bedroom, spotting my stuff set behind the couches.
Natasha was nowhere to be seen, so I quickly grabbed my suitcases and rolled them back in the room, making sure to shut the door behind me.
I did not want any more jump scares.

The next few hours, I spent organising my things into the vast space, shoving clothes and shoes haphazardly into the cupboard and placing all the makeup in the drawers of the vanity.
Gently, I unpacked my books and laptop, setting them carefully in one corner of the room.
I would arrange it tomorrow.

By the time I was finished, it was way past midnight and with a low exhale, I jumped back in the bed. I moaned at the softness of the sheets, my form almost sinking into the mattress and I was about ready to close my eyes and fall asleep when my phone buzzed beside me.

I groaned, picking up the device and bringing it up to my face. Squinting at the new notification, I unlocked my phone before clicking on the instagram app and opened the unread message in my inbox.

I wish I hadn't.

'How's life, dear Aylin? It must be good, since you abandoned all responsibilities and left to go enjoy yourself.'

I should've stopped reading then, when realization struck me, instantly identifying the sender. But it was too late. My eyes were already on the next sentences.

'Do you even know what day it is? Do you remember?
Of course you wouldn't. You're too much of a selfish brat. You couldn't even remember Dad's birthday, could you? The man who raised you and took care of you. You couldn't even bother to wish him, right?'

My gut twisted. I should stop, go back and ignore the rest.
I should, I should, I should...

But I can't.