Resting In Pieces

"Don't bother me."

I raised an eyebrow at the demand, watching as the man, whose name I still didn't know, walked to the furthest corner of the room as if I had a contagious disease he wanted to avoid.

"I have no interest." I retorted back.

It came as no surprise to me when he didn't reply, and slightly rolling my eyes, I sauntered to the bed on my side of the room.

As I was setting my guitar down, I noticed that the man-

I wish I knew his damned name! This is getting tiresome.

-kept glancing at me like he was afraid I'd suddenly attack him or something.

"What's your name?"

His head snapped up to me, eyes concealed beneath his cap.

"I..." He trailed off, the curve of his lips turning down.

He looked unsure, hesitant, and it made me confused. I only asked for his name, what could be so difficult about that?

Unless there was a reason to keep it hidden.

Before my mind could run rampant and draw one thousand, one hundred and one paranoid conclusions that would not only be far-fetched but entirely absurd, he spoke again.

"Why do you want to know?"

The question fell past his lips in such a soft whisper, I almost missed it. But when it registered, I scowled.

Any other day, I would've dropped it, but today, I was just too riled up to let go of things quietly and maturely.

"Courtesy, you idiot." I rebuked, rolling my eyes. "Doesn't matter though, I guess I'll just call you whatever I want then... Jerk."

Really? That's the best you can come up with?

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "I mean, uh..... Frosty."

His eyes narrowed dangerously but he didn't speak.

I felt like banging my head against the wall. Not only out of embarrassment, but also an underlying guilt at my childish behavior, that I somehow wasn't able to control.
This wasn't who I was. I didn't insult people I'd just met, I didn't even acknowledge their rudeness. So why now?

"Uh, well okay then." I squawked under his hard gaze. "I'll be going to sleep now."

Not waiting for another nonverbal response, I dove into the bed, pulling the sheets over me as I closed my eyes.

Is this a coincidence? Or does the balance actually effect my emotions? I lashed out at Willow, I called this unknown man out.

I named him Frosty, for God sakes!

Wincing internally, I tried to brush away my thoughts, tried to forget about the memories of the day. And I tried hard to fall asleep. Infact, I gave it all my effort.....
It didn't work.

I tossed and turned, shifting uncomfortably around on the squeaky mattress, even counted sheep in my head for what felt like an hour, before I gave up.

No rest for the wicked, I suppose.

Opening my clenched eyes, I huffed.

"You know I can sense your eyes on me, right?"

The ma- Frosty, unsurprisingly, did not reply.

I rolled my eyes before propping myself up on my elbows, directing an unimpressed stare at him.