Heart To Heart

It had been a good few days before I got a call again.

In all honesty, I'd given up hope that I was ever going to be called in, almost sure that I'd done something to get fired. Knowing me, it wouldn't be surprising at all.

It was a fine afternoon and I was comfortably lying on my stomach on the tiled floor. I was reading the second book of the 'Iron Fey' series and positively bawling my eyes out when the loud ringtone interrupted me.

'Ladies all across the world, listen up, we're looking for recrui-'

I immediately snatched the phone off the bed and pressed down on the volume button to stop the song from blaring before I looked at the unknown number calling me. 

Who the hell is this?

A moment of hesitation later, I answered and after clearing my throat, I pressed the device to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey kid, miss me?" Came the unmistakable voice of Tony Stark, A.K.A my pretend patient.

I rolled my eyes slightly. "How can I help you, Mr. Stark?"

"I need you to come in as soon as you can. Pepper's been getting suspicious since we haven't had a 'talk' in more than two weeks."

"Sure she is. You're horrible at acting." I told him.

"Well then, its a good thing you aren't. Come by in 15. See you later, kid."

"But you said-" I was interrupted by the beeping that signified that he had already hung up and I huffed in disbelief.

Before I could even think about getting up, a knock sounded on the door of my room. Frowning, I stood up and walked over, slowly pulling it open.

The unfamiliar face of a middle-aged woman stared back at me, dark hair pulled back in a tight bun and a tiny smile stretching her thin lips. 

"Hi, I am the new owner of this place, Shelly Hudson."

My heart dropped to my stomach at the implication of that sentence even as I politely smiled and shook her outstretched hand.

"How may I help you?"

"Oh its nothing much," She waved her hand nonchalantly. "you'll just have to pay the rent and move out by tomorrow." 

"What?" I gaped at her, my mind too slow to process the statement.

When it finally hit, I defended. "But I still have one week left before the due date."

She shrugged unapologetically. "I'm sorry, but I have already bought the place and I really need it to be cleared out at the earliest."

"But that's an awfully short notice." I tried to keep calm. "You could have given me at least three days time to move out. I don't have a place to stay, or even the money."

"Like I said, I'm sorry, but I can't do anything about it now." Shelly's words dripped with insincerity and I fought the urge to yell in her face.

"I'm sure there must be another wa-"

"There isn't." She interrupted rudely. "You have to get out of here by tomorrow morning, got it?"

I bit my lip to prevent from lashing out and offered a curt nod instead.

At the compliance, she flashed an accomplished smirk and walked away, disappearing around the corner with the faint echo of clicking heels.

"Sure, Wicked Witch of the West." I muttered sarcastically before slamming the door and cursing silently.