Former Foe

I sat on the ground drawing random things on sheets before passing them to Lila who painted them with watercolors. Laura, Clint's wife, looked over us from the couch, seeming content while the Avengers had a meeting in the background. Occasionally, I would catch her eye and she smiled every time, making me feel comfortable and at home with these strangers.

Thor still hadn't come back and from what Steve said, he'd gone for some answers to explain what he'd seen in his vision that the Maximoff girl had shown him. I didn't understand what it was about but I didn't question it. 

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time." I heard Fury speak, the information going through one ear and out the other.

Lila showed her mother her artwork with a toothy grin, before running off to Natasha.

I smiled unconsciously.

"My contacts all say he's building something." The director continued. "The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

I stopped my absent-minded scribbling, finally deciding to pay attention to his words. After all, it seemed like I had to play a part too in 'saving the world' or whatever. 

Hold up, what was vibranium again?

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve questioned, breaking my thoughts.

"Oh he's easy to track. He's everywhere." Fury answered, moving to make himself a sandwich which reminded me that I hadn't eaten anything yet.

I stood, walking to the dinner table where Natasha sat alone and took a seat across from her, grabbing a plate. I tuned out the conversation in the background, fixating on the food infront of me. 

As I gobbled down on the toast like a starved woman, the inevitable happened. Natasha, noticing me choking, instantly pushed a glass of juice forwards. Downing it, I thanked her in relief, causing her to roll her eyes at me playfully.

"Well, this is good times, boss," she then spoke, turning away, "but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that."

With the choking hazard, I slowed down my pace, gently nibbling on the side of my toast. 

"I do." Fury stated. "I have you."

I brought my eyes back to him, listening.

"Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else." 

Hmm... interesting.

I sipped my juice.

"You kids had all the tech you could dream up."

 He walked out from behind the counter, moving to the centre of the room.

"Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world."

He glanced at me as he said that and I promptly looked away.

"Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission." He continued. "And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction."

Woah, wait. I could've sworn the mission was 'peace in our time' or something?

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't go around believing a murderous robot.

"All this, laid in a grave... So stand." He stated dramatically. "Outwit the platinum bastard."

I almost choked again as he took a seat at the end of the table. Natasha glanced pointedly behind me, lips pulling up in a smirk.