Doomed

"Well then, we'll be leaving now." 

The voice passed through my ears like a background tune, one I barely focused on. Instead, I sat giggling on the couch, insides all warm and fuzzy as I read the message displayed on the screen. 

"Uh, Aylin?"

Biting my lip, trying to keep the wide grin at bay, I tapped on the phone, inwardly squealing as the response came through. 

Ah! My heart can't tak-

"Aylin!"

I jerked, snapping up as reality came crashing down on me, suddenly remembering where I was. Awkwardly, I met the eyes of the heroes.

"Sorry." I quickly pocketed the device. "What were you saying?"

Tony rolled his eyes, Natasha hid an amused smirk, and Steve looked doubtful. 

He arched an inquiring eyebrow. "Is everything alright?"

"Of course!" I nodded enthusiastically, standing up before I noticed their attire. "Oh, you're leaving already? Okay! Have fun! Goodbye!"

"Have fun?" Tony repeated. "Oh yes, how fun it is to spend this lovely morning taking out a notorious Nazi organization instead of sipping on coffee and working in the lab."

"Uh correction... You never sip your coffee, you down it like a man who hasn't drunk since ages."

Clint laughed as he sharpened his arrow. I believe he does that only for the purpose of looking all cool and mysterious.

"But you know," he said, looking at me, "I enjoyed when you were all concerned and frantic."

I crossed my arms, turning away in embarrassment. "That was only a phase. Get over it."

It was true.
The first few days, every time the clock ticked past evening, my anxiety kicked in as my brain produced innumerable scenarios that shifted from paranoid to downright crazy and impossible. I'd pace around nervously, doing random tasks to get my mind off of them until either JARVIS announced they were back or they walked in themselves and I'd let out an audible sigh, shoulders sinking as I practically collapsed from relief. 

But one day, when they were running especially late, I panicked a little too much. Every minute dragged like it was an hour and before I knew it, stressed tears were running down my face as my mind conjured up the worst possible case as to why they weren't back yet. A short while later I was knocked out due to exhaustion.

And that's how Clint had found me, having come up before the others. And since then, he sends me texts to let me know of the estimated time they'd be out.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

"Well, take care. We'll be back soon." Steve smiled, leading the group out.

"Bye Bruce. Bye Thor. Bye everyone. Do a good job!" I called out, waving while Clint snickered.

I only shook my head in response, a small grin on my face as I watched them walk away. For some reason, this moment always made me feel like a sentimental mother who was sending her now grown children off to live their lives.

That's because you think you're the main character in a fiction novel and you want everything to be dramatic.

"Anyway!" I chirped, turning on my heel. "What now?"

"The mountain of dishes in the kitchen seem to be calling your name."

I turned, seeing Mom lounging beside me, flipping through a magazine and my face morphed into a frown as I whined.