On Top Of The World

It was the most harmless fun I had had in a while. 

I slid forward on the water slide rapidly, squealing in happiness and genuine pleasure while Willow told me the directions to open the passage in.
Every twist and turn had my heart jumping in my chest with joy as my hair whipped around and all over my face, completely undone from its previous style.

We moved with a smoothness and accuracy that had me feeling proud at my own accomplishments. And by the way that Willow glanced back every now and then, had me thinking that he was surprised at my quick and precise control over the element. It felt like it had only been a few minutes when he called out. 

"Stop. We're here." 

I frowned, instantly creating a barrier so that the water couldn't move forward. "Already?"

He nodded in confirmation and feeling a bit disheartened, I slowly turned around on the log. Having a few vines wrap around it so it wouldn't get carried away, I opened the tunnel behind me enough to let the water drain completely before shutting it again.

I turned to face Willow.
"That didn't seem very long at all." I told him skeptically.

"The speed was enough for us to reach here in a lesser time than usual." He informed before adding.
"You did well." His voice held an infinitesimal amount of awe which made me smile.

"Well, where are we exactly?" I questioned.

"At the base of Mount Roraima."

I nodded once, before I reached out with my newly found senses to see if there was anyone above us. But I felt no vibrations, that led me to believe we were safely alone.

Like I had done before, I opened up a part of the earth above us a few feet away so it wouldn't drop on my head, before walking forward and raising vines from the ground that would carry me up. Once I was lifted, I grew a boulder sealing the hole shut just as Willow appeared beside me. 

Heaving a breath, I lifted my eyes, letting them travel up to the landmark that stood tall and proud in front of me. 

"Wow..." I whispered, taking in the sight of the terrifyingly beautiful Tepui with wide eyes before turning towards Willow.
"Wait...we have to climb up that ginormous thing?"

"Unless you can somehow, suddenly fly, I would have to say yes."
His attitude didn't make me want to weep as much as the journey that lay ahead did.

Taking a breath, I tried to control my thoughts running rampant in my mind.

You've always wanted to go mountain trekking. This is not even an actual mountain, it's just a plateau.
Haven't you always moaned that your life wasn't adventurous enough? And now that there's a real challenge right in front of you, you're hesitating.

That was absolutely correct, every bit of it.

And deep down, you're aware that you crave the thrill of the unknown, doing dangerous things. You know... being the self-destructive idiot you are.

I ignored that part.

"Well, then what are we waiting for? Let's climb this baby."

Not even twenty minutes later, I was sweating profusely. Every muscle in my body aching and trembling, while I heaved myself up, panting hard.

I stopped for a moment, leaning forward on the rock wall as I held my weight up with my palms pressed against it. My head spun dizzily and my vision swam as I tried to control my breathing.

God, I really need to get in shape.

"Are you alright?" Willow questioned in what seemed like concern.