A Peek Into The Mind

"Anemone...as in, 'Daughter of the Wind'." I mused.
"It's a very appropriate name."

Seraphina looked at me, a flash of surprise in her gaze and I continued. "I'm Aylin. It's uh, nice to meet you."

"We know who you are, child, and we know what you seek." Her voice was calm yet somber.

"Oh uh, yeah, right then. Um, that's nice." I stuttered, feeling very on edge.

No pun intended.

"Lady Seraphina." Willow spoke, suddenly appearing and making me jump.

I had totally forgotten about him.

"You're aware of the predicament we're in. You know what has to be done. Are you willing to do it?" Willow's solemn tone matched Seraphina's perfectly.

"Yes, I am aware. We all are." She said, before her gaze turned back to me.
"You've journeyed long and hard to find us, and I will not disappoint. But the question that remains is whether or not you're ready."

Just like with Terra before, I hesitated.
A million of 'what if's' ran through my mind.
What if the test was something beyond my capabilities?
What if I fail?
What if I'm not found worthy enough? What if I'm not enough?

There's no amount of preparation that will ever make you ready for things like this. Just stop thinking and do it.

The words gave me a strange sort of conviction and a second later, I met Seraphina's stern eyes.

"Yes. I'm ready." I replied steadily, even though I was frazzled with nerves.

The Air Spirit nodded again, a slight flick of her head, before she approached me. I kept my sight on her as she walked forward with all the elegance and grace of a regal queen, stopping at an arm's reach away from me.

"Anemone, come forth, my child."

I scrunched my forehead in confusion as the little girl stepped between us, looking up at me.

"My daughter will be the one to test you."

Eyes flitting between them, puzzled beyond belief, I stood still until Anemone gestured for me to bend down.

Reluctantly, I lowered myself to her level.
"What are you going to do?"

She flashed a reassuring smile at me before she answered.
"I'm going to look into your mind."

The frown deepened even further.
"Wha-"

Before I could even get the first word out, Anemone's arms reached out lightning quick, pressing her tiny palms against the sides of my head and my vision exploded with light.

My mind was amassed by a hundred images.
Memories long forgotten came bulging out to the surface, flitting by too fast to even comprehend. Dozens of voices spoke, barely coherent even as they shouted, overlapping each other. Emotions I had shoved away deep down came crashing into my head, making it spin ferociously. And feelings I thought I had gotten over enveloped me all at once.
Everything I had ever thought and felt, seen and heard, chose and forgot, everything my life ever was, I remembered. For one fleeting moment, I remembered it all, even as I barely registered it.

And as quick as it had begun, it stopped, leaving me utterly disoriented. I blinked in rapid succession as I processed the wetness on my cheeks, bringing a hand up to wipe the tears away.

"What...what just happened?" I asked, disconcerted.

Looking up, I saw Anemone had receded back to her mother's side and everyone was staring at me silently.