A Cruel History

"Nooo! Don't die! Please don't die."

Tears fell in endless streams, soaking my bedsheets as I read the book, lines blurring due to my watery vision.

"NO! Whyyy??!" I cried out, gripping the book tightly and bringing it to my chest as I sobbed at the tragedy.

It had been almost three entire months since the failed alien invasion and the terrifying battle. The same one that I had jumped into wearing a Halloween costume, complete with a wig and mask.

That was also the day for most of my first times.
First time being in a serious fight.
First time using my powers in front of people.
And due to my own stupidity and recklessness, the first time cracking my ribs.

And God, it was painful!

Initially I had no idea about it, but when I came back to work a week later, and practically collapsed from the pain, I was ordered by my boss to go and get checked up. And when I told him about the news, he demanded that I rested well.
I protested, of course. I had a job to do and I could rest on my days off. But he pointed out to me that there would be no working for a long time.

And it was true.
The entirety of New York had been shook, with most still recovering from the attack. The aftermath was ugly and everyone felt it.

It was a devastating sight, really.
I had watched people crying in the streets. Half were jobless, some homeless while several others struggled with deaths of loved ones. There was just too much loss and destruction, of both lives and property.

The City that never Sleeps, for a while, became the City of Sorrow. But as time passed and life went on, we were all healing, slowly but surely.

Now here I was, laying upside down on my bed with my legs propped up against the headrest as I read 'The Hunger Games' while crying like a baby.

"Oh my poor baby Rue. You didn't deserve this. God, why does life have to be so cruel to the innocent?" I sniffled, rubbing my eyes.

"Are you done yet?"

A high pitched shriek left my mouth and I sat up, whirling around, the book falling into my lap.

Willow's glowing eyes met my widened ones before I narrowed them at him.

"Yo-you JERK!"
All impulse control leaping out the window, I grabbed my pillow and threw it at him.

He must not have expected that, because the pillow hit his tiny figure straight on and he was sent flying away.

And let me tell you, it felt freaking good to finally do that after all the times I had shoved my urges down.

"What is wrong with you?!" His childish voice screeched as he appeared beside me.

"What is wrong with me? What is wrong with you?" I huffed, pointing an accusing finger at him.
"You always, always do that."

"Do what?" His angry voice questioned, eyes glaring holes in my soul.

"Scare me!" I yelled. "Why can't you just knock on the door or something instead of just popping up nearby, giving me a heart attack every.single.time."

Willow's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I do not have time for your silly courtesies. I found the location of the Air Spirits, but then you had to leave the place you were supposed to be in. And I had to track you down as well!"

"It was a job offer. I had to shift!" I defended, raising my hands in the air.

"I don't care. Apologize right now."